Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » SexEd books for Little Kids

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SexEd books for Little Kids
cursefairytale
Neophyte
Member # 25466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cursefairytale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want to buy an "age-appropriate" sex-ed book for my neices 9th birthday. I grew up in the same type of enviroment as her and had serious misconceptions about sex, gender, and other "taboo" things. I do not want her to grow up misinformed. Some of the stuff she's been saying worries me lately because it shows a serious misconception of sex sometimes is deragatory to females.

I was considering buying her It's so amazing by Robie Harris.

However, since she is not my child I want to be respectful to her mothers wishes. Her mom, my sister is a conservative christian. If I do buy the book for my neice I will consult her mother first, but I'm not sure what she would think.

I guess, my question is what should I do? Would I be acting out of place to ask her mother if she thought the book would be okay for her daughter? Being her aunt how much responsiblity to I have to try to change her misconceptions? Am I totally out of line wanting to get her the book, or is it something I should do?

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pumpkin_Pie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pumpkin_Pie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest, while I applaud you wanting your niece to be sexually informed, unfortunately at the end of the day, her mother may not want her to be.

And since the child is only 9 years old, her mother's wishes generally overrule most other people's, except in extra ordinary circumstances.

Therefore, I'd advise you to talk to your sister about it first, before you give her the book. For the sake of your relationship with your sister it may be the best thing. If you gave the kid the book without consultation she may just take the book of the child and then blow up at you over it.

At least if you talk it over with her you might be able to convince her about it.

I can't really advise on books suitable for a 9 year old for sex ed. I know I read one called Let's Talk About Sex when I was about 11 or so. I'll try and find it online for you.

Rebecca

Edited to add link:

here's the book:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/074453674X/qid=1127461288/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl14/002-0285222-7228074?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

[This message has been edited by Slayer_gurl (edited 09-23-2005).]

Posts: 896 | From: Europe | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.