Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » date rape teen show

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: date rape teen show
dreamBaBy
Activist
Member # 12710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamBaBy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just thought that I would post this topic because this is a very well written article on the show and what it deals with(date rape) and because I wanted to ask some people their opinions on this which was said by the producer.

Kids are playing a really adult game when they start becoming sexually active and there are risks associated with that.

She referred to kids in this context as young people between the ages of 10-17 which is the age target for the show. Just asking for some opinions on this.

The article(which I suggest you read) is http://www.msnbc.com/news/936770.asp?0bl=-0

------------------
¤dreamBaBy¤

Posts: 93 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you're talking about Degrassi, right? I think i read that article, but I am not familiar with the program.

Anyway, this'd be good to read in Sexual Literacy, so I'll send it there.

------------------
more surly than girly...

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what she's saying in the quote you give is certainly true - sex has risks and consequences (such as the risk of pregnancy or STDs), and being ready to handle those is part of being ready for sex.

But the implication of her remark in context seems to be that rape is just one of the inevitable risks of sex and occurs as a result of the victim's being sexually active.

Maybe this isn't what she meant, but that's how it comes across.

And I'm very uncomfortable with the implications of that. Rape is violence, not sex, and not being sexually active doesn't protect someone from being raped!

Yes, people need to be aware of the issue of date rape and know how to avoid getting themselves into situations where they're particularly likely to be vulnerable, for their own protection.

But treating rape as the result of "kids becoming sexually active" comes very close to blaming the victim.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that was the intent. But it is true, in the scene depicted, that rape was made easier by a choice the character made, which makes it all the more painful, really. No, no one deserves to be raped, but learning ways to protect ourselves can lessen the chances of becoming a victim. I think this was a great topic for Degrassi to try to handle, and while I haven't seen the show in question, I'm familiar enough with the older series to be confident they did a good job of it.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF, WAOTA

Worst attitude of them all!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreamBaBy
Activist
Member # 12710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dreamBaBy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't seen Degrassi either but I too think that the remarks made sort of blame the victim of the rape.

------------------
¤dreamBaBy¤

Posts: 93 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.