Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » Channel 4 programmes [UK]

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Channel 4 programmes [UK]
insatiablesmiles
Activist
Member # 6228

Icon 1 posted      Profile for insatiablesmiles     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hiya
i decided this was the best place for this topic.
Did anyone else in the UK watch the recent 'sexuality' series on channel 4 in the UK? at least that's what it was dubbed.
'The Truth about Lesbian Sex', 'The Truth about Gay Animals', and 'The Truth about Gay Sex'.
if so...what did people think?
i found out nothing i didn't know before...and thought some parts of them [particularly the lesbian programme] were rather gratuitous, but it did inform me about some mail order shops and 'real' shops in the UK.
i found parts of the animal programme a bit graphic...but intensely interesting!
and the gay sex programme has some highly amusing moments [the GP...], some things i found worrying [i know, i know, i shouldn't, it's natural, human sexuality], specifically the fact there's a notorious 'cottage' in the park down the road from me!

and now we've got Sex On TV from the programmers at C4...not out to be quite as arousing, i don't think, and earlier this year on the same channel a series which included a programme about the female orgasm.
all this in a country most see as unbelievably prudish.
so, anyone got anything to add?
i didn't really have anyone to discuss these programmes with...i doubt my parents would have appreciated it!!

-pandora
xxo

------------------
- you think you're the only one who's sexually frustrated?
- well come on baby , i'm ready!

[ american beauty ]

http://thebitch.mustbehere.com

Posts: 100 | From: london, england | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw 2 of the 3 (I missed the gay animals one). I liked bits, but found other parts shallow and sometimes inaccurate (for example, the one on gay sex managed to give the impression that anal sex is inevitably painful).

And the basic attitude seemed at times to be somewhat like a wildlife programme - exploring this strange and alien world for the benefit of straight viewers (and evidently assuming that heterosexual people never have anal sex or use sex toys or anything like that ... yeah right ). Why not a "Truth About Straight Sex" show as part of the series?

But I did cheer as soon as they had a shot of of Sh! (a very cool women-owned sex shop, for those not familiar with it) .

[This message has been edited by logic_grrl (edited 05-13-2002).]

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.