Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex in Media: Books, Magazines, Films, TV & More » XY Magazine

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: XY Magazine
Gaffer
Activist
Member # 2105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gaffer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XY is, as far as I can tell, a magazine aimed at gay teenage boys(yay for us!), and I have heard everything from "It's a bubble-gum magazine" to "Its insightful and deep" about it.

I'm just wondering, has anyone here ever read it or heard of it or psychically foreseen it's existence or anything?

I've never actually gotten to read it, my mom or sister is always in Borders when I see it. Casually walking over and picking it up would, to say the least, out me--I'm not really ready to tell my family about something as insignifigant as my orientation 8^).

Posts: 356 | From: Phoenix--name that plurally | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it. They give it out for free at a queer youth program in NYC. It looked sorta cool, but it annoyed me that they don't make an equivalent for girls.

------------------
*Limes Are Sublime*

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Laughs_Wisely
Activist
Member # 2610

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Laughs_Wisely     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was always more of a Bitch, Bust and On/Off Our Backs girl, but I did spend a good deal of time while working at a bookstore reading stuff like XY (and XY itself). It does deal a little with lesbians, etc., but the focus really is on gay men. It's at times sensitive, at times bubblegum fluff...but it's still good...

P.S.: Anyone know anything about the current state of Bitch magazine? I LOVE Bitch...

------------------
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.
( Tr. "I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head." )

Posts: 140 | From: Saskatoon, SK, Canada | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Doe
Activist
Member # 3836

Icon 1 posted      Profile for John Doe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen it, and leafed through it, but never actually bought it or read it cover to cover. I suspect that you would like it though. Find a way to go to Borders or B&N on your own. From what I have seen of your posts it seems like it was written for you. As for the other comments on it, I don't think it is right to critizie a mag for not being what it does not pretend to be. I mean would you blame golf digest for not covering Wimboldon?
Posts: 475 | From: ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's funny because I actually just picked it up today while I was at the bookstore. However, it is aimed at gay male teens, and since I'm a bi female teen I didn't really leaf through it. Although it did seem a little fluffy, but had cute guys on the front You'd probably like it (if only for the cute guys, lol), next time you're at the mall try to go to the bookstore (I found it in a regular, smallish B. Dalton).

PoetGirl, if you pick up any Teen, YM, Seventeen, or Jump! magazine, change all the pronouns in the relationship sections, and pretend that all the pictures of girls being 'friendly' are actually being more than friendly, then you have the equivelant

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

real poetry is all based on this old myth about this beautiful, scary, trippy goddess who the poet wants to possess but he always loses her to this shadowy other guy - Girl Goddess #9

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.