Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » a few silly questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: a few silly questions
slipperysoap
Neophyte
Member # 107471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slipperysoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First let me give you some background info on my cycle.

Period March 3
Period April 2
Spotting May 1st heavy bleeding for two days following and then spotting up to today May 7th.

On april 12, I started to fool around with my boyfriend. No intercourse occured, no penetration, no ejaculation. There was precum and I dont think that our genitals even made direct contact at anypoint. One of us at least was usually wearing underwear. There may have been one point where his precum cam into contact with my mons pubis. There was definitely some on our hands. No fingering occured at anypoint.
I wasn't worried about pregnancy since I got what seemed to be my period May 1st ... until my boobs started to hurt like crazy and I've become irrate and tired and my friend told me it could be implantation bleeding?! This flow was a little different than most. I usually have a heavier flot. Though this was only heavy for two days, with clotting and tissue.

Went to the doctor today (may 7th), explained my situation, she said you can get pregnant without penetration but usually you need fresh ejaculate to do that and genital contact. Regardless, she did a urine pregnancy test and it came out negative.

I know I should stop worrying, but apparently some pregnancy test can give you false negatives.Is this a chance?

I have read all of the articles here that provide information on this stuff and from those I get that I should totally stop worrying as I most likely not pregnant but a part of me is still a little paranoid and I would like some reassurance or for some advice on how to get over this anxiety and move on.

What's the likely hood that the test the doctor took is not accurate? Am I beling ridiculous? Should i stop worrying that i'm going to end up turning out pregnant a month from now when it'll be too late for options like medical abortion or what have you?

I'm sorry for my ignorance and naivety. Hope somoene can have further information for me.

Posts: 7 | From: in space | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pregnancy tests, especially those under controlled situations like in the doctor's office are extremely accurate (as long as the directions are followed). Yes, false negatives (and false positives) can happen. But if the test is taken correctly and at the appropriate time, it is not likely.

Based on what you've described, it does not sound like pregnancy is likely in your case. As a general rule, if something looks like a period and feels like a period, it is a period. Implantation bleeding is typically very light (think very light spotting). If you had any days of heavy flow, it's not going to be implantation bleeding. It sounds like you had a period.

So you've had a period and negative pregnancy tests. Have you and your partner talked about ways to protect yourselves so that you don't have worries like this in the future? Would you like to talk about strategies that might help?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pregnancy tests are usually highly accurate, and when they aren't, it's usually user error. So, for sure, you can rely on them, particularly when done by someone trained to do them.

It sounds like your healthcare provider did you right here, both with testing and in giving you sound information, information we'd absolutely agree with. (Your friend, on the other hand, did NOT give you sound information. Implantation bleeding is relatively rare, and when it happens, it's light spotting: it doesn't resemble most people's periods at all.)

It seems very clear you are not pregnant.

Per how to get part these worries, what do YOU think you need? How are you feeling emotionally about engaging in the sexual activities you did? Might you need to talk with whoever you did them with and set different lines or boundaries? maybe step away from this altogether until you have a better idea of what you can handle?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slipperysoap
Neophyte
Member # 107471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for slipperysoap     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KittenGoddess and Heather,

Thank you for that! I just needed to hear it again for my sanity's sake.

I think I would feel much better if I was on some sort of birth control and my partner used a condom. However, because we really hadn't planned on being sexually active, that one time sort of happened how it did prior to taking the proper precautions. In the future, I think I'll avoid this kind of scare and become protected either by birth control or condoms. I'm sort of just getting my feet wet in all this and I can't say that I'm totally ok with the pace in which its going, so I'm going to have to slow it down until I'm comfortable and in a position where if a pregnancy is a posibility I'll be ok to deal with it and accept it. Thank you for making me realise that.

I have a few more follow up question. What do you think could be the cause of my sore nipples and my mood swings? I've noticed things I hadn't noticed before, like occasionaly protruding veins on my chest and darker nipples. I dont know if this was just my paranoia examining my body too closely since I Was worried about pregnancy or if these can be caused by other things.
I dont know if this is relevant but I have recently started working out a little more intensily than before and i have lost some weight in my chest especially.

Posts: 7 | From: in space | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These links might help you when it comes to slowing things down, and also having any kind of sex you do choose to engage in be more intentional:

• Whoa, There! How to Slow Down When You're Moving Too Fast
• When Sex "Just Happened" (And How to Make It Happen Instead)

Breasts and nipples are both very tender in general, and also pretty sensitive when it comes to body shifts and changes, even the subtle ones we have every day. A change in exercise could certainly be part of that.

But I agree with you, a good deal of this is also probably about being hyperobservant in ways you aren't normally.

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68189 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
slipperysoap
Neophyte
Member # 107471

Thanks a tonne. These are helpful.

I attribute most of my freak outs to my self-diagnosed anxiety. I'm constantly irrational and illogical, even though I catch myself having an internal and rather logical conversation, assuring myself, that what I'm worried abotu is crazy and near impossible but as soon as that conversation is done, I'm still left with some worries and irrational thoughts.

I think I should just aim to make situations as worry-free as possible to allievate anxiety. I think I may even have to talk to someone about other methods of coping with it.

You guys are great! Thanks again.

Heather
Member # 3

Sounds to me like you're doing a kickass job assessing all you need to do around this. [Smile]

Glad to help!

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.