Donate Now
We've Moved!">Check out our
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Virus Transmission

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Virus Transmission
cmd023
Neophyte
Member # 94525

Icon 5 posted      Profile for cmd023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The virus I am specifically speaking of is HSV-1.

Two months ago, I (female) received oral sex from a male. We did not use any kind of protection. I know this was dumb, and I can't say exactly why I didn't think of it. To be honest, I think my state of mind was more like "no risk of pregnancy, ok awesome!". Until very recently, I never even knew anyone with an STD, and they still seemed like just something you learn about in health class, not something that can really happen.

Anyway, I am just now becoming more aware of the risks involved in what we did. I learned how common oral herpes is, and how it can still be transmitted with no visible sores present.

There is no physical evidence that would lead me to believe that I have it. The partner from whom I received oral sex had no sores or spots on his mouth area (I kind of neglected to ask him any questions about his history, not that it would have proven anything for sure). I have never, ever had a spot or blemish "down there". Also, I don't know if this is worth mentioning but I have never had intercourse and only received [unprotected] oral sex once before, about three years ago. So, my number of sexual partners is extremely few.

I was wondering, would you recommend I get the blood test? Like I said, I have never had any kind of sores or discomfort down there. My fears are not based on evidence of transmission, rather than on the statistical probability. From my understanding, if I had contracted HSV in my genital area, physical symptoms would have most likely appeared already, correct?

I know that the most accurate way to test for HSV is to take a culture of the open sore, and that the blood test will only show antibodies in the blood. Say, for example, my blood test comes back positive. That could just mean that I got it from kissing and that the virus is present in my lips and not my genitals. However, I would probably still FREAK OUT and let my anxious mind jump to the conclusion that it is definitely present in my genitals. In this way...the blood test might completely backfire in terms of giving me peace of mind :/

Can someone help me figure this out please?

Posts: 17 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, cmd023. I would suggest that you do get tested -- once you have become sexually active, you should be getting a full STI screening once a year or so. So, not just for this possible risk, but as part of your overall sexual healthcare. You can also talk to your doctor about this specific concern, and they can give you more information about testing and your sexual health.

And just a clarification -- many STIs can be asymptomatic for a long time. This isn't to freak you out, but to let you know just how important it is to get regularly tested.

[ 06-28-2012, 11:09 AM: Message edited by: Onionpie ]

Posts: 1311 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.