Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Taking Pill Earlier

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking Pill Earlier
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to go out of town with my family for graduation; and I'm concerned, because we'll be busy around 7:30 AM, when I take my pill. I hate the thought of taking it a bit earlier - not only so they don't see, but so I don't become late for graduation errands - so if I take it around 6-7, that is not bad at all, right? I know an hour one way or the other doesn't really matter; but I hate deviating from my normal time and will try to take it on time. Thank you!

--------------------
"I do the best that I can. I'm just what I am." - Rush (Best I Can)

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One hour or another's difference doesn't matter, and you can always shift a pill earlier without any concerns: it's moving it to later -- especially if that is more than a 12 hour difference, that can be problematic.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68215 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Icon 1 posted      Profile for copper86     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you so much! If need be, I will take it at 6:30 or 7. Thank you again for your fast and knowledgeable response!

--------------------

Posts: 692 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heather Max is especially good at those. [Smile] As well as being kind, considerate and caring. It is just her/his natural way! I hope you don't mind Heather to mention your favourite alternative name. [Smile] I know the binary shouldn't exist, but a lot of words seem to want to put us into categories! [Wink]

[ 06-10-2012, 06:30 PM: Message edited by: WesLuck ]

Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I have a quick question regarding condoms: my partner and I might see each other tonight, and haven't yet decided if we will engage in vaginal sex (if we did, we'd use condoms and my birth control pill for protection). However, my condoms' expiration date is June 2012. Does that mean they will not work this month; or are they saying that come the end of June, they expire? Also, he told me that if we do have sex and he is about to ejaculate, he will pull out (he's assured me of this more than once). My question is, will the condom still do its job right now; or will it be expired (and if a condom IS expired, is pulling out alone a good enough way to use it with the pill as a back-up)? I will do some research on this now; but I wanted the experts' responses first. [Smile]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a condom is expired, it simply means that it is at an increased risk of breaking. If it doesn't break, a condom has done its job. So, whether or not you use the condom during the month that it is listed as expiring is really dependent on your comfort level with the possibility that it could break.

This article has effectiveness rates for combining two birth control methods:

The Buddy System: Effectiveness Rates for Backing Up Your Birth Control With a Second Method

Have you and your boyfriend both recently had a clear STI screening? That's the other consideration for whether to go without a condom.

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much. But since seeing him something arose that made me feel quite upset.

He had told me to bend over; and I had thought that he was going to perform oral on me, but instead, he started giving me unprotected vaginal sex (though I am on the birth control pill and have not missed a pill for over a year). He just thrusted and when I had asked if he had a condom on, he pulled out and told me he'd put one on. He assured me he didn't ejaculate; but I was upset, since I had brought condoms with me for this exact purpose. I know I should've told him to pull out the second he penetrated me... But this did not happen - I only asked maybe after 20 seconds or so.

I know we have effectively used two methods: birth control pill and the withdrawal method - but he had asked me to spray water in me when I got home. I know from research that this actually does not work. I will look at the article you just gave me about "The Buddy System"... I just feel upset that this happened since we had talked about condoms before we hung out.

We've engaged in condomless sex once before without a problem; but this still frightens me. Since I am a perfect pill user, I really do not want to buy Emergency Contraception; since I'm afraid it might alter my cycles, which would make me worry all the more.

I know I've already talked to you about a pregnancy risk (I think it was one risk question, but I'm not sure); but I would just like some reassurance that the two methods we used are okay. He had assured me at least twice that he had not ejaculated... I just think spraying water up there is a waste of time and I'm kind of too mad to really think straight.

[ 06-10-2012, 09:21 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HI Copper86,

So, he started having intercourse with you without putting on a condom, even though that is what the two of you had agreed on beforehand? If so, not cool.

No, spraying water in your vagina doesn't decrease your chances of pregnancy.

Your risk of pregnancy here is minimal. Emergency contraception functions the same way as the birth control pill, so since you're already on the pill, there's nothing to be gained by taking it.

Can I check in with you again about whehter you've had a recent STI screening?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I don't know why he didn't put a condom on. We have talked about this more than once, and he is concerned about pregnancy and wants to use condoms; so it baffles me that he didn't put a condom on. I understand that we were both excited and that it is my fault as well for not telling him to pull out as soon as it happened, but it threw me that he did this since I know he cares about me and does not want me getting hurt.

I sprayed earlier anyway, but I know this does not work. I've researched that a long time ago and think it's pointless.

I saw that our methods are 97.84-99.98% effective; and since I am a perfect pill user I am trying to stop being upset. He's not an unintelligent person so I don't understand what happened.

I have been to my university's clinic for a pap smear and a blood test, but I've yet to return due to graduating; so I need to get that sorted by a random doctor I suppose (due to my parents being unaware of my personal life).

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hi There,

Is this something you'd like to discuss with your boyfriend when you're not in the heat of the moment?

As to getting tested, you could find a doctor, or go to a sexual health clinic.

Have you and your boyfriend discussed being screened for STIs?

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Well, we had talked about condoms in person way before we were going to have any vaginal sex (I had been on my withdrawal bleed then); and then over text today, so we were certainly not in the heat of the moment those two times. After we had done that, he said he hadn't ejaculated and said, "And you're on birth control." So he had sounded fine in person; but then he texts me and makes sure that I wash myself, saying that he didn't ejaculate but safety is key. As much as I truly care for him and think he's amazing, that pissed me off (since the onus was on me to both a) be on the pill, b) go home and do a good job of washing up).

There are some walk-in clinics around here; so I could probably walk or take a bus to one of them and make an appointment. I have a family doctor but even though there are confidentiality agreements, I do not trust his silence as he also has my three family members as patients.

We have not discussed being screened as of yet. I was trying to take care of that at school (but we only had vaginal sex for the first time in September, and I got my check-up in December, right before school ended for me). I was told I had to wait a year after any kind of sexual activity for a pap smear and that type of examinations; so I felt like I had to wait before I could get tested.

Thank you for listening to me vent. I don't mean to put my partner in any negative light - he's caring and good to me - but what he did just threw me for a loop.

[ 06-10-2012, 10:06 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI Copper86,

It's understandable that that would piss you off, particularly since washing yourself doesn't decrease your risk of pregnancy at all. It might be worth mentioning that to him.

Yes, doctors are bound by confidentiality but I definitely hear where you're coming from. Your comfort and feeling of assurance is as important as any legal rules out there.

I don't see your boyfriend in a negative light at all, but it does sound like it might be time for the two of you to sit down and have a conversation about what expectations you both have around sex, safer sex measures, and so on.

You might find this article helping in thinking about a conversation like that.

Be a Blabbermouth! The Whats, Whys and Hows of Talking About Sex With a Partner

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you for replying to me so quickly, Robin. I really appreciate it. And thank you for your assurances regarding minimal risk. It helps to have a neutral party telling you that and not just your own tired voice in your head, saying that your risk is minimal and to try and not worry. I just like statistics in general and seeing the effectiveness rates did help a little. It states that with typical use, OCP + Withdrawal is 97.84% effective. Does that refer to typical use of both methods (i.e. missing a pill or some semen leaking out) or an overall average? Since I am a perfect pill user, should I assume that I am towards the 99th percentile (being a social sciences student, the extra 2% or so actually matters [Smile] )?

I will read that article, as well. I really don't know what happened here; because we have had safe sex conversations before in an objective framework. But I understand that some refresher conversations will be good for both of us. Thank you!

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I truly do not mean to belabour this issue, and I know the volunteers here always have their hands full with other issues (not to mention their own personal lives!); so I will definitely make this quick.

My partner had assured me at least twice that he never came. So if this is correct (and he had urinated before this incident), should I assume that the withdrawal method was performed correctly? I enjoy statistics so I'm just trying to piece them together in my head. Thank you so much for your time!

I also want to add that when I did not have this site, I pretty much spent most of my time either worrying or reading horror stories on the Internet; so I hope you all know how much your work here is valued and appreciated by those who use this site!

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

If your boyfriend withdrew well before ejaculation, then yes, the withdrawal method would have been performed correctly.

The statistics we have on birth control use are helpful, to be sure, but I think it's important to remember that when we're talking about bodies, there are never absolutes. There are too many variables to predict what an individual body will do, variables including the hundreds of chemical processes in the body, plus things like behaviour and environment.

I'm not sure if this helps at all, or muddies things.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you for your response! I'm relieved that that method was performed correctly.

I understand what you are saying regarding statistics and variables; and how bodies can be unpredictible. A little frightening to read; but I certainly understand.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Hi,

I know that my risk of pregnancy is really small, but I'm still considering buying some pregnancy tests for peace of mind (and I always feel better having some on-hand). I've been getting "period" cramps and stuff, but I still think I'd like to have tests at my disposal. My question is, do I have to wait exactly 14 days after my risk to test? I think the sex was around 9:30 or later; so if I test in the afternoon, is that too early? I was thinking of just testing on Monday - fifteen days later - just to be safe; but I was wondering how strict that 14-day timeline was. Part of me wants to wait until my bleed is actually late before I test; but I think I'd feel better with tests around. Thank you!

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

HI Copper,

No, it's not 14 days to the hour. [Smile] If you're testing two weeks after the sexual activity, that's definitely good enough.

If you want to wait until your bleed is late, that's okay. If you need to see that test result sooner than that, also perfectly okay.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you so much! I still don't know what I'd rather do; but I think I'll just buy the tests and have them available if I need them.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I feel bad posting here again - I know you all are so busy - but I would like some comfort I think. I purchased some pregnancy tests today; but what I didn't count on was going stir-crazy waiting another three days with them in the house in order to test. I keep changing my mind between waiting for my withdrawal bleed and taking a test on Sunday or Monday. I stop my active pills on Tuesday; so the time difference is only a few days. I guess I just feel irresponsible or "cowardly" waiting for my bleed. I've been getting cramps and the "sick" feeling that my bleed is coming around the time that I nornally get them... But I would just like some comfort I guess. Of course, I know you can't "diagnose" me over the Internet - I'm not asking that of anyone - I guess I just want someone to talk to!

Thank you so much for reading this - I appreciate it so much. Before I had this site, I would be anxious and worried all by myself!

[ 06-21-2012, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: copper86 ]

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Hey Copper,

It's tough making decisions sometimes, isnt it?

I wouldn't describe anything you're doing here as cowardly or irresponsible. You're acting on your own knowledge. You went and got the tests; go you for that!

'

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Yes it is! I thought that maybe I'd wait for my bleed and then if I change my mind, I still have the tests if need be. There has been a few days this cycle(which always happens during my cycles) that I sometimes have to check and see if my bleed hadn't already started; and I really do not want to freak myself out.

Buying the tests are always scary; and I remember once when I was a day late and I was buying them, and the pharmacist looked at me like I was stupid. She asked, "Are you trying?" I said no, and that I was on the pill and only a day late. She really made me feel like I was insane... But I really just like having them on-hand, no matter what.

Could my anxiety have anything to do with the fact that I'm not used to vaginal sex yet? This is only my second time; and since the whole scenario occurred around us not using the protection I wanted, I think that is making me nervous. I just really want to know that the pill works for me; and once I know it does, I think my anxiety will go down considerably. I keep remembering random stories on the Internet (though I know I need to take those with a grain of salt) of women for whom the pill did not work; and I always wonder if I'm in the minority there. It's actually really annoying... But I'm remembering about what you're saying, about how the pill has protected thousands of women from pregnancy for decades, so I think I need to relax a little.

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

Icon 1 posted      Profile for WesLuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are doing fine. [Smile]
Posts: 540 | From: Australia | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Thank you, WesLuck! [Smile] You're so encouraging!

--------------------

WesLuck
Activist
Member # 56822

That's the great thing about being kind - as long as one's personal circumstances are stable, you can give as much as you feel comfortable with. And with most (virtually all?) people, positive reinforcement is worth so much more to the person receiving it than it costs to give it. So I do like to post encouraging posts often. [Smile]
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

People appreciate encouraging words - so thank you for taking the time to help others in this way! [Smile]

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Is a time frame of 13 days too early to test? I guess I could wait the extra day though.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I took a pregnancy test around thirty minutes ago; and it gave me a negative result. I even shone it to different lights (and even my phone's flashlight... That probably makes me weird) to see if I was "seeing" it correctly. I know I do not have to test to the hour, as Robin stated, but I hope testing the morning of the 14th day was okay. I think I can finally relax and stop panicking... So thank you for putting up with me through all of this!

--------------------

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Take a deep breath... [Smile]

I want to check in with you about whether you and your boyfriend have had a chance to sit down and discuss what works for both of you in terms of safer sex and your sexual boundaries in general.

--------------------
Robin

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I'll try! It was a panicky few days but I think I can finally relax!

We've spoken about seeing each other soon but I'm going to talk to him about using condoms for genital sex. I know he wants to use them for vaginal sex; but I'll check in with him about that too. I'm finally trying to work on trusting that my pill is effective and working; but I definitely want to make sure that we use condoms.

--------------------

copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

I feel embarrassed asking this, but would my test results be accurate if I tested on the morning of the 14th day?

--------------------

Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Copper, everything I've read on here has said that tests are accurate at 14 days after a risk, and Robin said above that time of day wouldn't matter, so I'd think the answer would be a big "yes" [Smile]

Seeing a point you made a few posts back about your anxiety, I'd say that yes, sometimes great anxiety about pregnancy can stem from a person not being quite ok with, or confident about, having a certain kind of sex or certain circumstances around it. Sometimes people can feel a bit nervous about hormonal contraception because they can't "see" it working. If that's the case, it's perfectly reasonable, and can be a good idea for peace of mind, to use a back-up method as well, like condoms. Do you already have a clear picture in your mind about the levels of risk that are and are not acceptable to you, and if so, is your boyfriend aware of that and fully on board with his role in it?

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
copper86
Peer Ambassador
Member # 95710

Hey, Redskies!

Thank you so much! I guess I was concerned because it was the morning of the 14th day; so I thought that maybe it might be too early to test. Some sources here and elsewhere say that 10 - 14 days is good enough to test; but I guess it depends on the individual's cycles or something.

I actually do feel kind of weird about not being able to "see" hormonal methods working; which is why I want to use condoms, too. As far as risks go, I think that I would feel more comfortable about them if condoms were to be involved. My partner is fine about using them for vaginal sex; so I'm going to work on him using them in general.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.