Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Preganancy Scare ..HELP!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Preganancy Scare ..HELP!
Miss Marie
Neophyte
Member # 94821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's the thing. My boyfriend and i spent the night together last feb. 12 and well we had unprotected sex... but i just had my period last feb. 7 and it only lasted until feb 10. i have irregular menstruation cycle. Is it possible that i could get pregnant? what can i do now to prevent it? and can i use a pregnancy test already? Please help me. im really scared..
Posts: 5 | From: Philippines | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You had unprotected intercourse so yep, you have had a high pregnancy risk. If this happened less than 120 hours ago, you may still try to obtain EC. It's been a couple of days, so EC will not be quite as effective anymore as it can be when taken right away, but it's still better than nothing.

You can take a pregnancy test for accurate results at two weeks after the risk, or on the first day of a missed period.

You have also had STI risks. Are you and your partner up to date with your tests?

Do you need any help in figuring out how to better protect yourself next time?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Marie
Neophyte
Member # 94821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Miss Marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
what is EC?
yes we're up to date with our tests to STD's not a problem,thanks.
what other preventive stuff can we do the next time??
another question is.. how could it be a high risk,, i just had my period..so isnt that safe enough??

Posts: 5 | From: Philippines | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
EC is Emergency Contraception, also known as Plan B or Morning After Pill. Here is some more information: Emergency Contraception

Aside from that, you cannot do anything to prevent pregnancy from the risk you have already had. For the future, we can help you figure out what method(s) of contraception would work for you. If you wanted to get started, this article provides a good overview: Birth Control Bingo!

You say yourself that your period is irregular. That makes predicting your ovulation time, and thus your most fertile days, very difficult. Even with a regular period, it is not recommended to assume that certain days are "safe" unless you chart your basal temperatures and cervical mucus. For someone who does not do that, it's very, very difficult to predict ovulation with any sort of accuracy. Thus, it's best to assume that any time in the cycle presents a high risk of pregnancy, and to use protection accordingly.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Marie
Neophyte
Member # 94821

hi, its been quite a while since i last logged in, anyway, i've had several Preg tests and all of them resulted to negative.
Is that good enough for me to believe that im not pregnant?
Another question is well, now that my boyfriend and i have done "it" im planning to take contraceptives this time.
i want to use pills but how sure am i that it'll work and which brand/ label would i take?
my sister told me that some pills would make me fat or something as side effect. i wouldnt want that to happen.. =(

Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests start being accurate about two weeks after the risk. I see that it's been just a little over two weeks since you wrote in. When did you take the last pregnancy test?

Birth control pills are usually only available from doctors or clinics. Do you have a doctor you go to regularly who you could ask about this? I'm also doing some research to find out about getting birth control where you are, and will let you know what I find out.

In answer to your question, birth control pills, when taken the way they're supposed to be taken, are highly effective--99% effective with perfect use. As to whether they make someone fat, while that is one of the side effects, it doesn't happen to all people. And different people react different ways to different brands.

What do you think about using condoms? They're effective birth control when used properly (we have an article here on Scarleteen about how to do that).

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miss Marie
Neophyte
Member # 94821

thanks robin.
last time i took PT was yesterday Feb. 29 at around 7 am...

nope i dont have a doctor. here in the philippines its somewhat NOT usual for people that are unmarried to consult a doctor about contraceptives and stuff.. i guess we're really not that "liberated" yet. especially here at our town.

Miss Marie
Neophyte
Member # 94821

thanks robin.
last time i took PT was yesterday Feb. 29 at around 7 am...

nope i dont have a doctor. here in the philippines its somewhat NOT usual for people that are unmarried to consult a doctor about contraceptives and stuff.. i guess we're really not that "liberated" yet. especially here at our town.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.