Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Taking BC Pill on Time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking BC Pill on Time
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I'm currently using the pill as birth control (Alesse to be exact) and while I'm comfortable with the protection this provides (combined with condoms or withdrawal) I'm finding that I've been taking pills late (over three hours) and/or missing them far too often for my liking (late two times last pack plus one pill that was 13 hours late, and so far one late this pack while I'm still in my first week).

Due to this I'm looking for some suggestions for taking my pill on time. Currently I:
  • Set an alarm on my ipod for 11 am (I found when I wake up is too unreliable)
  • and keep my BC near my ipod in my bag

The big problems with keeping to this have been:
  • forgetting my BC in a different bag
  • not hearing my alarm

Caveat: I cannot keep it in the open in my house. My mother is very opposed to not only pre-marital intercourse in a way that does not present any room for discussion but is also opposed to hormonal birth control on its own on, and trust me when I say that this belief, as with all other things in my mother's life, will not be swayed with evidence or facts to contrary of her belief. So it's important that it be kept somewhere out of sight.

Also as a side note I've tried being on the ring, and while only having to change it once a month was amazing, it didn't help with my period cramps and if anything exasperated them, and my severe cramps are a big reason I've been on birth control for the past year (even when I haven't been sexually active). I've also considered the patch but I have very sensitive skin (I have eczema and am prone to irritation) as well as being very prone to picking at anything stuck to my body so I feel like it probably wouldn't be a good fit, though one I'm willing to try if this keeps up.

Posts: 244 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Icon 1 posted      Profile for skiesofgreen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, just to double check because I can't find this info on the pamphlet that comes with my pill, how late is considered late and how late is considered missed? Also at what point are you recommended to back up with another form of birth control? (I already back up with condoms or withdrawal so this is more for personal reference, also because I'm more comfortable with condoms if a pill has actually been missed).

My current understanding is that anything past 3 hours is considered late and that anything past 12 hours is considered missed. However I don't remember where I heard those numbers and want to double check.

Posts: 244 | From: British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Lee
Volunteer Assistant Director
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some good information in this article about what constitutes a missed pill and what to do about it.

Three questions about taking the birth control pill (and plenty of answers)

As to taking your pill consistently, how inconsistent is your waking up time? Or perhaps going to bed? I'm wondering if taking it at one of these times would be more consistent than what you are doing now, even if it's not exactly the same time every day. What do you think?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

I knew there was an article on this somewhere around scarleteen! Thanks for finding it for me. =)

My wake up time and bed time are relatively consistent. My issue with doing it when I woke up (it's how I took my BC for the first 4 months or so I was on it) was that I'd wake up and totally forget I was supposed to take it. I'd trundle off to bathroom and not remember my BC until I was half way through my first class. I know a lot of people put it on their alarm clock so they notice it when they wake up but since I can't have it in the open that's not such an option. If we could come up with some ideas for me noticing it in the morning but it being hidden from my mother, doing it at that time could be an option.

The issue with bedtime is that I go to bed around 11:30 on a normal day and if I go out drinking I'm worried I'd just completely forget.

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm....do you have a toiletry bag or anything like that where you keep makeup or other things you use in the morning? are you able to keep them in the open in your room, or do you feel that's too risky?

Or what about your classes? Do they happen at the same time each day? If you do, could you keep your pills in your book or computer bag and take one right before first class?

--------------------
Robin

Posts: 6066 | From: Washington DC suburbs | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skiesofgreen
Activist
Member # 46170

Hi Robin,

I kind of dropped off the face of the internet for a while there. Thanks for helping me with this. I've actually been trying a scheme of setting a second alarm on my phone for an hour later, in case I miss the first one. That seems to be keeping me on time as I always have one or the other with me.

If that doesn't continue to help the toiletry bag is a good suggestion. =)

Robin Lee
Member # 90293

That sounds like a great idea. glad to hear it's working.
[Smile]

--------------------
Robin

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.