Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » More testing questions!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More testing questions!
JeseC
Neophyte
Member # 48488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeseC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok I just have a lot of questions tonight, so I'll just post them all here.

One: Can my underage partner get tested without her parents' permission? She's a few months shy of 18.

Two: What exactly does testing entail? I have a history of sexual assault, and while I feel like I could have a partner I really trust touch me down there, I don't think I could let someone I didn't know very well touch me like that.

We still are planning on using barriers for everything, even if both of us test clean.

Posts: 21 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, anyone 16 or older can get tested without parental consent at places like Planed Parenthood or other reproductive health clinics. Here is an article about testing that can help answer your questions. I understand your history and would like to help be more at ease. The first thing I would recommend is that you tell them about your concerns/history; you will not be the first person with these concerns that they have worked with and they should be very understanding. The other thing to remember is that they will be healthcare professionals and they will treat you as a person with a medical concern and there will not be anything sexual about it. [Smile]

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeseC
Neophyte
Member # 48488

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JeseC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One more question: I'm not sure we have a clinic in our area. What happens if I can't get to a clinic or don't feel safe at what's in our area? I live in the middle of nowhere, and I'm not sure I can afford the taxi fees on top of the clinic costs, even at reduced rates.
Posts: 21 | From: United States | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried our Find-a-Doc link? See if it helps first; if it doesn't then let us know your zip code and or nearest major town and we can try to help you search for a place. If you don’t want to have that info on the board then you can email us at http://www.scarleteen.com/contact. Just include your situation since one of the other staff/volunteers will be the one receiving it.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JeseC
Neophyte
Member # 48488

I've used it, but...well, the nearest major town in the area is Harrisburg, but that's 45min by car and I don't own a car. That's more the issue really...I'd have to call a cab, and cabs are expensive, and then I don't have money to pay for the clinic even at reduced rates b/c I can't put it on my insurance without my parents finding out. Really, I can't spare more than $100 or so on the total visit, and no one will see me for that cheap.
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

JeseC,

Does your partner have access to a car? If not, do either of you know someone you can trust that has access to a car? I am adding an article that might be helpful, Safe, Sound & Sexy: A Safer Sex How-To , with working around the in ability to get tested any time soon. I will keep looking into alternatives.

--------------------
Dan

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.