Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » HPV

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HPV
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you get HPV from BOTH giving and receiving oral? How effective are dental dams & condoms in preventing HPV (I think I read somewhere it's the same as herpes, like 70%?)

I have a friend who's considering having oral sex with her boyfriend. She has done nothing sexual with another person yet, and he has had sex with one other person who's had several previous partners (they used a condom for intercourse but not for oral. Also, I am pretty confident she was tested before they had sex, and she hadn't had sex in 8 months before that so the tests should've been pretty accurate. She's had genital herpes for a couple of years, but when treated is it still safe to have sex?).
My friend's boyfriend is getting tested for everything before anything happens. They are also planning on using condoms and dental dams. The biggest worry is HPV because men can't be tested and my friend hasn't had the Gardasil vaccine. She's going to soon, but that's a 6-month process. So basically my question is, do you think it's safe enough for them to have oral sex with protection even though there's a possibility he contracted HPV and even though she hasn't been vaccinated?

Thanks!!

Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We can't be the ones to decide whether they would feel “safe enough” or not. What I can tell you is that using barriers, like condoms and dental dams, are just about the best and only methods of protection available.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lilerse
Activist
Member # 46007

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lilerse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you at least answer my first two questions? Thanks [Smile]
Posts: 219 | From: Indiana | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OWL Dan
Activist
Member # 49077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OWL Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oops, sorry. [Embarrassed]
You are correct, HPV may be spread both ways during oral sex and barriers are around 70% effective in protection. Here is an article that may also be of assistance The STI Files: Human Papillomavirus (HPV). Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

--------------------
Dan

Posts: 842 | From: Ohio | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.