Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » thinking about getting an IUC

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: thinking about getting an IUC
kaleyedoscope
Neophyte
Member # 44736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kaleyedoscope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking about getting Mirena or Paragard, or some type of IUC. Has anyone had these/what can you recommend.

I think I'd also feel safer if I took a mini pill or something that maybe isn't as strong as other birth control pills because women in my family do have a history of their bodies being unable to handle birth control pills.

I was just wondering how people reacted to these forms?

Posts: 18 | From: Massachusetts/Australia | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 28346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The nice thing about the Paragard is that it's hormone free. I have one myself, and besides some crazy bleeding in the first three months, I have been very happy with it.

Everyone's body reacts differently to different types of birth control, so you'd want to talk with your doctor to see what's right for you.

One thing about an IUD is that generally, doctors want you to have been pregnant before. For more info: Intrauterine Devices (IUD, IUC or IUS) and other birth control methods: Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you. - B.B. King

Posts: 1180 | From: WA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey kaleyedoscope,

You can also read about a bunch of people's experiences with different birth control methods here:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/21/t/001135.html

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.