Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » A big, loud, wonderful thank you!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A big, loud, wonderful thank you!
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wasn't quite sure where to put this, so if this needs to be moved, I totally understand and I'm very sorry if I've put this in the wrong section.

But I just wanted to say THANK YOU to Scarleteen to all the advice-givers on Scarleteen, whether you are a newcomer or a trained professional.

See, last night, my friends and I went to an Under 21 night at this club near where we live. And it was a total BLAST! We all danced with a lot of nice, cute guys, and while the music choice was a little blah, we had a good time dancing with each other and the occasional alluring stranger.

As I'm sure most of you know, teens today don't dance like teens of the past. Many people say our culture is hyper sexualized, borderline unhealthy. And I guess, in a way, I can see that. But being at this club last night made me have a sudden revelation-maybe some aspects of my generation's culture ARE a little curious or questionable...but I feel like we're more comfortable with our sexuality and our sex in general than, say, other generations have been in the past.

And I know that's kind of "duh", but I just realized it last night. A year or so back, I would have been ashamed to be dancing with a bunch of guys...and dancing, perhaps a little SCANDALOUSLY at that! But I felt no guilt or shame...I felt so, so happy. And I think a lot of that has to do with finding Scarleteen, and learning that sex is nothing to be ashamed of. It's not to be treated carelessly, for it can carry all sorts of repercussions, but it can also carry these really wonderful gifts.

So I guess just a big thank you to Heather and all the other activists and helpers and everyone who takes the time to answer the questions. I'm sorry if you get this a lot...but thanks for helping me grow. =]

So...has anybody else had a revelation-type time? Because I'd love to hear about it. And again, I'm sorry if this is an inappropriate place to post this thread.

Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks so much for this, JB. This is the sort of thing that makes my whole day.

(Of course, I personally feel like your generation is actually LESS sexually comfortable than some generations before, but a) everything is relative and b) that's a tough call to make in the first place. But I certainly want every generation to feel as comfortable with their sexuality as possible regardless. [Smile] )

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68227 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JB
Activist
Member # 36720

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're probably right about my generation...but at that moment, it felt like everything was ok and just right. =]
Posts: 186 | From: Richmond, VA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vshanti
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 43159

Icon 1 posted      Profile for vshanti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I second your appreciation of Scarleteen, JB [Smile] It's so great to have this little safe haven on the Internet. Whenever I'm feeling down I like coming here and browsing the boards or reading articles because I remember that I actually am a pretty good human with some gifts to share with the world. The inclusiveness and awareness and honesty here are so incredibly inspiring, and I like that we are building it all together. Hug!

--------------------
Vanessa

I believe in the radical possibilities of pleasure, babe...
I do, I do, I do.

Posts: 140 | From: Montreal | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.