Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » contraceptive implant.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: contraceptive implant.
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so i'm on the pill, but as i've left school and will be starting college soon im finding it hard to take my pill on time due to a less structured timetable, my gp suggested the implant as i wouldnt have to remember to take it, however im worried about the side effect of weight gain and wondered if anyone could give me any advice?
Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weight gain on any sort of hormonal birth control shouldn't be more than a few pounds. If you get the implant and decide you don't like it, having it removed is a simple procedure, and similar to going off the pill, your hormone levels will return to normal in a very short amount of time.

I actually got the implant myself a couple of months ago, and wrote a couple of blog entries about it over on the main site:
http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/karyn/2009/04/22/implanon_part_1_that_piece_of_plastic_going_in_my_arm
http://www.scarleteen.com/blog/karyn/2009/05/06/implanon_part_2_in_which_there_is_a_very_large_needle

We also have a page in our birth control bingo article on the implant: the Contraceptive Implant (Implanon)

If you have any more questions, feel free to come back, but this should also be something you're talking to your doctor about, as they're really the best person to answer any questions.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5775 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amychaos
Activist
Member # 37929

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amychaos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow thanks for that info, i was just concerned because i spoke to my mum about it an everyone she knows has put on a lot of weight when using the implant.
there is also a risk of weight gain with the pill that i am on however i havent put on any weight since i started using it i april last year so im guessing i may not be affected by the implant either.
haha reading your blog made my head spin, i think i'll have to close my eyes if i do get the implant

Posts: 116 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.