Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » choice lubricants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: choice lubricants?
winter_solstice
Neophyte
Member # 41257

Icon 1 posted      Profile for winter_solstice     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently started having realllly bad reactions to the lubricant my boyfriend and I use, and I couldn't really find any information about specific lubes to try. Anyone have any suggestions? I LOVE lubricant more than anything in the world, but I need to find some that won't make me react so poorly. It makes me all burny and itchy :(
We've been using KY brand 2-in-1 warming touch massage, and it's just not working out for me. He doesn't mind it (he loves the warmth, and I don't object to it) but I just end up in such discomfort... either I need a new lube or I need to find out if I'm doing it wrong! lol
Recommendations?
Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1 | From: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smokey
Activist
Member # 39760

Icon 1 posted      Profile for smokey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm no expert on lubricants... but I know from my experience that the fancy stuff (like warming touch, flavoured etc ones) generally has more additives in it, and it's these extra ingredients that can often cause the bad reactions.

I would recommend sticking to plain old simple lube with no special bells and whistles to see if the irritation resolves itself.

Posts: 92 | From: Australia | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd second the vote to lose the novelty or warming lubes.

Instead, try a lubricant that is water-based with as little additives as possible: two like that I like are Sliquid's H20, and Pink lube (which is designed for women to be very hypoallergenic). They both last a long time, too, and a little goes a long way. Astroglide is another water-based old standby that's easy to find in many places and an excellent lubricant.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
acgal
Neophyte
Member # 36192

Icon 1 posted      Profile for acgal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use a water-based lubricant and it works WONDERS!
We tried just a normal lubricant just once and it gave me such a nasty yeast infection I ended up not having sex for 3 months. But I have had no problems with the water-based lubricant. I definitely recommend that.

Posts: 35 | From: NJ | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LondonBlue
Activist
Member # 38698

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LondonBlue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely try a plain lube, not a fancy one. Personally, I love silicone-based lube, but water-based is good too. I used to hate lube, because I used KY Liquid...it smells terrible and it dries out right away, leaving a sticky, smelly mess. I don't understand why KY is the only brand you can easily get in most grocery stores...IMHO, it's the worst brand I've tried.

I highly recommend Pjur Woman lubes...I buy them online, and they're amazing. They have NO smell, and they can even be used as massage lubricant, because they're good for your skin and you don't have to clean them up afterward. Seriously, I've tried both the water-based and silicone-based types, and you can rub it into your skin like lotion...it doesn't get sticky and it doesn't make you desperately want to wash your hands afterward, lol. So that's my recommendation! [Smile]

Posts: 96 | From: West Coast USA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.