Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » vaginal secretions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: vaginal secretions
papou_fruit
Activist
Member # 15399

Icon 1 posted      Profile for papou_fruit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the article about types of, but I'm still unsure about something. My vaginal secretions sort of change throughout the month before my period.
I'm sexually active and my boyfriend and I tested free of HIV and STDs.
Though sometimes my secretions are white and gooey, almost like stretchy, but not really sticky mucus from your nose and throat. Also sometimes it has sort of a paste-like texture to it with not exactly "chunks" but a noticible texture almost similar to paste. It does not smell foul at all, just like how it's normally supposed to smell.
Is this caused by poor diet? I've been working on a healthier diet with plenty of fruits and vegetables, but it seems to stay the same. Also it seems to sometimes have a bit of an odor whenever I eat something very heavy in onion or garlic.

Could someone help explain this possibly?
Thanks! [Smile]

Posts: 68 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That all sounds normal. Though if your discharge ever seems like cottage cheese, or starts smelling yeasty (like bread, or... yeast, if you've ever made breads) or foul, get into the doctor and get it checked out.

But vaginal discharge does change throughout your cycles, based on where in your cycle you are (for example, right after your period your discharge will be different than when you're in the middle of your cycle or right before your period).

(And also, I think, if I'm thinking correctly, both onions and garlics are types of foods that can sort of affect the way your body smells/tastes for a while til it gets out of your system, so that doesn't sound all too weird, either)

[ 11-05-2006, 09:25 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your discharge is totally normal. [Smile]

The discharge is supposed to change as your cycle goes on. Different levels of hormones, different internal activities, different discharge.

Food affects discharge to some degree--it's not enough to change flavor by any means, but like everything, some foods make the body produce different odors.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
floridian2x
Activist
Member # 22484

Icon 10 posted      Profile for floridian2x     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey there papou_fruit

I was just reading your post, and i wanted to let you know of a really good book that i just got on a womans cycle, and how her vaginal secretions change through out it.

The name of the book is "Cycle Savy The Smart Teen's Guide to the Mysteries of Her Body" By Toni Weschler, MPH National Best Selling Women's Health Author

It is really, really helpful, and even tells you how to chart changes in your cycle.

Depending on where you live, you can get it at a Barnes & Noble bookstore.. if you have one near you. If not, and you're interested in purchasing it, you can always search the name of the book and author online.

And just from this info i have gotten in my book, you're discharge sounds perfectly normal, and i know exactly what you're talking about. Mine becomes pastey depending on where i am in my cycle.

Hope this helps!!

Posts: 133 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.