Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » The Ultimate BC Question Thread lol

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Ultimate BC Question Thread lol
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off let me say thank you for reading and answering you rock for clicking this.

ok gf went on to yasmin a little while ago and i have been listening to everyones questions and answers so i figured i would ask a few of my own.
1. After she has gone through the first pack (she was a first day start) when she is on the second pack IF unprotected sex occured how much of a risk is there for pregnancy?
2. Is there any way for the pill to just not work at all, or if your taking it is it just a guaranteed winner for doing what it's supposed to?
3. Per my last question i know there are some things that can have an effect on the pill (antibiotics, and i have even heard stomach virus) so what are the things that make it dangerous for unprotected sex? Also does tylenol have an effect?
4. How long is that danger window open if say she does take antbiotics or she does have a stomach virus?
5. Do Side effects like nasuea or "break through bleeding" mean or effect anything to do with the effectivness of the pill. Is there any side efect that means it's not working?
6. Is there anything special about yasmin you an think of that i or my gf should know? Also i heard that with yasmin since it's low dose we should wait until the third pack before unprotected sex is this true?
7. on the yasmin website it says it's effective the first day you take it!!! Are they lying or is it KINDA effective or what? If so is my gf covered partially from pregancy risks right now even though she is on the first pack?

If you made it this far i love you. You are a trooper for reading through my long post and if you reply i hope something awesome happens to you today, if you don't reply i still love you and hope you have a good day. lol thanks to anyone and everyone

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. As long as your girlfriend has been taking her pills correctly, she can consider them fully effective after the first pack (that includes the placebo week).

2. The only way the pill will "not work" is if there is some sort of hormonal condition or your girlfriend is on another medication that will interfere with its effectiveness.

3. Tylenol has no effect on the pill's effectiveness. Some antibiotics can, however - if she is on antibiotics, use a backup method until the end of the cycle. The only way a stomach virus would have any effect is if she took her pill, and threw up less than about 3 hours later - this could lower the effectiveness slightly.

4. In the case of antibiotics, or a missed pill, use a backup method such as condoms until she starts a new pack of pills.

5. Side effects do not indicate whether or not the pill is working. Nausea or breakthrough bleeding will not have an impact on the effectiveness.

6. There's not really anything special about Yasmin - it's a low-dose pill, same as many others on the market. It being low-dose does not mean that you need to wait three months before it will be fully effective; waiting one cycle is fine.

7. The thing is, it may be effective the first day for some women, but for others it can take the whole month. So we always recommend waiting one full pack of pills before considering it fully effective at preventing pregnancy. At this point, your girlfriend likely has some protection from pregnancy, but it's wise to wait until she's finished the entire pack before assuming she's fully protected.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5738 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thank you so much for your reply

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScreamInEcstasy
Activist
Member # 26981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ScreamInEcstasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
people all over this site are saying its safe after one pack HOWEVER, i have the same exact pills and in the booklet it says you should let THREE packs go by before you can be fully protected against pregnancy. It says it IN the Yasmin booklet that comes with the pills tell your girlfriend to read through it.
Posts: 45 | From: canada | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ScreamInEcstasy, I'm looking at the patient insert that comes with Yasmin, and I'm not seeing where it says that you are not protected until after 3 packs. Can you be more specific about where that is in the information?

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
samantha357
Activist
Member # 29651

Icon 1 posted      Profile for samantha357     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamInEcstasy:
people all over this site are saying its safe after one pack HOWEVER, ...... you should let THREE packs go by before you can be fully protected against pregnancy.

i myself am not on yasmin, but a pill very similar. My gyno agrees with you, ScreamInEcstasy, she said its not for sure to work until after the THIRD pack. [for anything with any pill]

So are all the rest of you trying to tell me [and possibly others] that my gyno, someone schooled to know this stuff, is wrong? [Eek!]

--------------------
"All is fair in love in war... wait... that doesn't sound right..."

The love you cant have lasts the longest, feels the strongest... & hurts the deepest

Posts: 81 | From: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in doubt?

All you have to do is check with the insert for your pill, or ask your pharmacist. Either are actually more informed per doctors often when it comes to this arena of your medication.

But I have yet to see any instructions for any given pill which state full effectiveness of the pill does not occur until the end of three cycles.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67996 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only reasoning I can think of for suggesting three months as opposed to one would be that if you are going to have significant side effects that would cause problems (like nausea that leads to vomiting, for instance) those are usually likely to work themselves out in around three months. Or perhaps it would have something to do with wanting to be sure that you were in the habit of taking the pill correctly, each day.

But I've not seen anything in either the patient instruction packets nor in the recent research suggesting that efficacy is greater after three months than it is after one month. I'll do some digging around in the academic literature as well to see if there's any recent research to suggest such.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.