Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Yasmin pill questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Yasmin pill questions
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 5 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey yall <----TEXAS BABY lol anyway i just had a few questions i found a way to aquire my gf a 3 month supply of yasmin pills and while my gf is talking to my uncle, the pharmacist, i thought instead of asking the same basic questions i'de come here and ask yall.
1. How long will it take for the pills to go into "effect?"
2. How does she take them exactly?
3. Is there anything speacial about Yasmin?
4. Does it have an expiration date or anything?
5. How do i explain to her that i still want to use a condom for added safety without getting my head ripped off? lol

Anyway i just thought i would come to scarleteen and get the preliminary stuff then i'll go talk to him. For those who remember me and my gf from a while back, were still together and she conquered her bulimia, she is still not drinking or doing drugs *knock on wood*
Thanks guys

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blueveggie
Activist
Member # 26508

Icon 1 posted      Profile for blueveggie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading the instruction packet will probably be a more complete answer than I can give you, but here's a brief summary.

1. How long will it take for the pills to go into "effect?"

The pill packet will say 7 days- we say 1 month to be absolutely safe (and full STI screenings) before unprotected sex.

2. How does she take them exactly?

One every day within the same 3 hour window. The last week is placebo pills, where she'll have her withdrawal bleed- you don't need to take them, but they're very helpful to keep remembering to take them when she starts a new pill pack. At first it may take a couple of months for her body to get used to it- don't freak out if she doesn't bleed, or only bleeds a little for the first month or two until her body evens itself out.

3. Is there anything speacial about Yasmin?

I took it for a while- it's a single dose pill, which is absoultely essential for some people and doesn't matter much for others (depends on how sensitive each person is to hormone changes). It has a pretty low dose of hormones, and if she has any breakthrough bleeding she may need a higher dose- talk to an ob/gyn about that.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for her to go to a ob/gyn anyways to get checked out.

4. Does it have an expiration date or anything?

As with any medicine, it does have an expiration date, but it's probably pretty far ahead in the future- it should say so on the package, likely on the crimp of the pills themselves.

5. How do i explain to her that i still want to use a condom for added safety without getting my head ripped off? lol

STI risks. That and for extra safety for the first month. Plus it's less cleanup..

Don't forget the lube! [Smile]

Posts: 86 | From: southern CA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah, woah, woah...you found a way to aquire a 3 month supply of pills for your partner? Do you mean that you found a health care provider or clinic for her to visit where she had the appropriate exam and then received the pills? If not (which is what it sounds like from your post), then your partner should go see a provider before taking the pills. Also, if you are talking about getting it from an unliscenced source, you could be putting that person in serious legal trouble.

If you mean that your partner got the pills on the up and up....then most of her questions should have been answered by the person who gave her the pills, but for your information...

She needs to have been taking the pills correctly and consistently for one month before considering it fully effective.

She will take one pill each day at the same time. If it's a 28 day pack, then she will take a pill everyday and start a new pack when she finishes the old pack. If it's a 21 day pack, then she will take one pill each day until the pack is finished, then wait 7 days, then start a new pack.

I'm not sure what you mean by anything "special" about Yasmin. It can increase potassium levels for some women, which will be monitored by your partner's doctor.

Yes, BC like all drugs, has an expiration date that will be printed on the package.

Explaining that you want to still use condoms to protect against STI transmission and add a backup to the pill seems like a good way to go. While BC is extremely effective when taken correctly, it's not something that you can see when it fails until it is too late (i.e. you can see a hole in a condom, but you can't exactly "see" when BC is not effective), so backing it up is a good idea if pregnancy is absolutely not an option.

But really, if you are talking about getting the BC "under the radar" from your uncle who is a pharmacist (which again, is what it sounds like from your above post), we would NOT recommend that. It's not safe, and frankly your uncle could lose his liscence and go to jail. Your partner needs to be prescribed the BC from a legal source.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Airem
Activist
Member # 24638

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Airem     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be honest with you i said it was my uncle to be simple because i was typing fast before i had to go to work, the will pharmacist who is supplying these is my gf's best friends boyfriends mom....see what i mean? lol and yes i do agree with you completely kitten on the whole it NEEDS to be Rx'ed by a doc but she kinda took the inititive and said yes when the lady offered, thats what i don't get...why would she chance going to jail to give my gf that. She is either really nice or really stupid the first thing i did when she showed me the pills was inspect for any tampering. I do have another question about birth control pills in general...
Is there any way that the pill could just not work at all....period? Or if it is taken correctly in all women, no matter the weird bleeding or side effects, it's still 99% effective? Oh yeah and what is breakthrough bleeding and does it affect the effectivness of the pill?

[ 06-07-2006, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Airem ]

--------------------
As The Shadow Follows The Body, As We Think, So We Become.

Posts: 157 | From: Athens, Texas, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dispensing drugs without a perscription would be considered like practicing medicine without a liscence. Why would someone do this...I don't know. I'm sure that she is very well meaning, but it's just not a very bright thing to do.

Based upon your partner's previous problems with eating disorders and drug use, it is just not a good idea for her to be taking ANYTHING without it being prescribed by a provider. Further, as I said, Yasmin can increase potassium levels in some women, which can lead to significant negative side effects and be dangerous in some. Your partner needs to seek care, and I suggest that you encourage her to do that now.

--------------------
Sarah Liz

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheer
Neophyte
Member # 29333

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cheer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on Yasmin right now and I've been on it for about 6or 7 months. I would recomend she go see a doctor. espessially since she has had an eating disorder and a drug/alcohol problem. I noticed that when i first started taking them, i felt like crying alot more than usual. and i have to take more vitamin B12 because i tend to get moody.
Posts: 16 | From: Hamilton | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.