Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Desire

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Desire
B-man
Neophyte
Member # 28644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Is it possible that might not feel the sexual desire to masturbate, but when your with a girl have the desire to do stuff all night. What I mean is wouldnt the sign of not masturbating cause you dont feel like it show that you have a low sex drive or is it possible to only get the sex drive when your with a someone and not when your by yourself?

Thanks

Posts: 12 | From: JHB | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Masturbation and partnered sex are two different things.

So, often enough, someone might be able to have partnered sex, but might really only be in the mood to masturbate. Or, as you've experienced, might be in the mood for partnered sex, but not in the mood for masturbation.

In many ways, this is no different than, say, being in the mood for oral sex, but not intercourse.

Too, sexual activity -- masturbation or otherwise -- isn't always a good guage of someone's sex drive. Plenty of people with high libido abstain from partnered sex or masturbation for various reasons, despite their libido. Our libido doesn't dictate our actions or all of why we do or don't want to have any sort of sex.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluefreak44
Activist
Member # 12381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluefreak44     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never had much of a desire to masturbate, and still don't. To me, sex was about more than pleasure.

I desired intimacy, to share something intimate with another person. Maybe you just have similar feelings.

Posts: 81 | From: MO, USA | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B-man
Neophyte
Member # 28644

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B-man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I think ur rite. Thanks for the input!
Posts: 12 | From: JHB | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just so it's clear, to a lot of people, masturbation is about more than physical pleasure as well. Infants, for instance, often mastiurbate for self-comfort, and many adults do same. For many people, masturbation is about SELF intimacy, about stress reduction, relaxation, getting in touch with one's body, about lack on inhibition, the works. For plenty, it's a sexual sort of meditation.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.