Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What the...? Weird period!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What the...? Weird period!!
Sachan
Neophyte
Member # 26275

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Sachan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warning: Gross period talk ahead... >_<

Two days ago my boyfriend and I were having sex... and afterwards I noticed blood on the condom and his sheets. Not a LOT of blood, but it was really unusual for me to bleed and it worried me a little.

I'm on Seasonale and haven't had a period for about 2.5 months (no spotting either) and I shouldn't have one for about 2 weeks and so I didn't think it was that.

I thought maybe he was just a little too rough this time around (and I wasn't quite as ready for intercourse as I could have been) and maybe I just got hurt a little.

Things took a turn for the weird, though. The bleeding didn't stop, and it's kind of like I have a light period... but it's all dark, clotted, old-looking blood. It was bright red when I first started bleeding, but for the past few days it's just been gross and dark.

What's going on? Why is it so dark? Is this spotting or my period? Should I get this checked out by someone?

Posts: 23 | From: IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 10 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is okay for your period to change colours sometimes. Dark blood is generally 'old blood'.

It's hard to tell if this is spotting or your period. Because this is your first period on Seasonale, it's too hard to say.

As long as there's no foul odour and you're not in too much pain, things should be fine.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sachan
Neophyte
Member # 26275

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Sachan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, good, it's probably nothing scary.

Is it dark because it's been so long since my last period? I was thinking it has been just chillin' in my uterus for the past three months and so is oxidized blood from being there for awhile.

It doesn't even really look like blood, though... it's really gross and brown. I hope this stops soon...

Posts: 23 | From: IL | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irm
Activist
Member # 27418

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Irm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if it makes you feel any better, I have my period once a month, and by the time I reach the last couple of days of my period, my blood is "old blood" too--the same darkness and textures that you described. That in and of itself is certainly nothing to worry about--it's normal for some girls. You may simply not be used to it in your regular periods as they are without the interference of pills. As for being off-whack with your scheduled period time, though... Hmm, it's probably not a concern as far as harm to you, HOWEVER, if you aren't already, I would deffinately add condoms to the mix until you can get get things with the pill straightened out, because if your period isn't aligning like it should then the pills may not be having their desired effect. I don't know how long you have been on the pill, but sometimes you need to "suft" different hormonal levels, types, brands, etc., until you find one that works for your body.

------------------
~Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup

Posts: 213 | From: Private | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 10 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i was glad to see this post and that it was such a recent one too!

i'm having a similar experience with seasonale. i just started taking it in December... I am almost done with the second pack in the cycle and had no spotting or breakthrough bleeding at all until about a week ago. i know that it can be more common with seasonale than other types of OCPs but I was starting to wonder how much was too much.

i, too, have had the "old blood" discharge-y thing going on. it wasn't a whole lot when it started but it was very thick and mucus-y and brown (i know that probably may be too much info for some). now, i'm having a little of that but more just light bleeding.

it has been going on for more than a week and about as heavy as a regular "period" for me when i was taking Alesse a few years ago. so i was wondering if i should consider calling my gyn or just wait it out.

Here's the thing: I am getting married at the end of March. My fiance and I are not sexually active right now so I was wondering if this spotting thing meant I was not as fully protected with seasonale or if i should consider switching to another brand of BCP. I'd need to do it asap though.

I'm already thinking about switching to something else after I'm done with the seasonal prescription just because i'm starting to think maybe i don't like the idea of going so long without a period after all. i haven't really had any other problems with it (no moodiness really or weight gain or anything-- i had some problems with Alesse) but if i'm going to be having two weeks of spotting that is like a light period then i might as well just have the pill period every month, you know?

anyway, i just was wondering if there was a "normal" amount of spotting and length it lasts to expect when first starting out with seasonale or how much was too much and warranted a trip to the gyn.

Thanks!!

p.s. i haven't been to this site in ages.... it's good to be back.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 10 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
addendum:

just to clarify, for anyone who may not be familiar with the seasonal pack...

one pill cycle comes in a pack with three smaller packs (that look more like a regular pill pack) inside. i'm done with the second of the three packs... the third is the one that has the placebo pills at the end.

so i actually have not completed an entire three month cycle of using seasonale and am still several weeks away from the placebo pills.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.