Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » is it true?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: is it true?
ariesdiva
Activist
Member # 23103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ariesdiva     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
is it true that lifestyles condoms break more often than other brands?
Posts: 74 | From: New York | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the most recent set of consumer reports condom ratings for some brands. That report appears to indicate that as of late, the reliability of Lifestyles isn't the very best, but is still good.

The reason most condoms break isn't so much about brands, but about how they're used. Even the best condom out there can break if additional lubricant isn't used as needed, if room isn't left in the tip, if it's not stored properly or used after the expiry date.

Just from a personal perspective? In 20 years of very actively using an awful lot of condoms for a lot of different activities -- usually Durex, Inspiral, Kimono and beyodnd Seven -- but using them correctly and always with extra lube? I've never had a single one break. I've had a couple slips happen with partners using a condom that wasn't snug enough, but never a single break. And that's not an unusual stroke of luck on my part, really. Most of the time when people here report condom breaks and we ask if extra lube was used, the answer is no, it was not.

We're big fans of Durex here, as the most widespread brands go, but for the most part, just using good condoms correctly is going to keep breaks from happening.

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 12-18-2005).]

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl88
Activist
Member # 9745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for babygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miz Scarlet--

I checked out the website you linked here, showing ratings for condoms. Why would condoms have lubricant that NUMBS?!

Doesn't sound like a good time to me...

------------------
"It's something
unpredictable
but in the end is right
i hope you had the
time of your life"

Posts: 150 | From: !USA! | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
faifai
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17971

Icon 1 posted      Profile for faifai     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Numbing lubricant is to desensitize, obviously. It's for couples who want to prolong intercourse--though I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to be doing something that's supposed to feel good if I can't feel it, to each his own.
Posts: 640 | From: The Valley of the Sun, AZ, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.