Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pregnant AND period? o__O

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pregnant AND period? o__O
grapefruittea
Neophyte
Member # 25852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grapefruittea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my sister thoroughly confused me a couple minutes ago.

i told her my breasts were sore the other day but i am on my period which means that there is no way i can be pregnant.

but she says that you can have full blown PMS and your period during pregnancy. WTF @ that.

i thought she was talking about mistakening a period during pregnancy---which is spotting. isn't it? or even unlubricated sex can create spotting.

i really need some answers because she is my older sister but i don't want to listen to her. it sounds all too ridiculous.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no, you cannot menstruate if you are pregnant. your period is a starting over process that lets your body re-prepare for another shot at getting pregnant. if you're pregnant, why start over, right?

you can have PMS-like symptoms if you are pregnant hormones are tricky like that. they can make your oods swing, various partsof your body ache and so forth.

anyway, if you are menstruating, you aren't currently pregnant. however you can still get pregnant in some cases, so you still need ot use protection if you do have sex on your period.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
grapefruittea
Neophyte
Member # 25852

Icon 1 posted      Profile for grapefruittea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GAH! i knew it >:O i read too much scarleteen to be wrong about this. haha.
Posts: 6 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
did you put money on a wager? if so, you oughtta collect on it

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dsexygurl
Neophyte
Member # 26189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dsexygurl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister had her period for the first three months of her pregnancy and this is why she didnt know. So even though it is rare andweird it could happen.
Posts: 5 | From: Bronx,Nrw York ,usa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your sister didn't have her period, she had spotting. If she'd had a period, she wouldn't have been able to continue the pregnancy ... The embryo would've been flushed out of the uterus with the endometrium.

It's really more of an issue of semantics. A period and spotting are not the same thing.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leni
Activist
Member # 9536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's probably the problem, that in some places people don't make the distinction between period and spotting. I remember my parents commenting about my aunt having her period the first two months of pregnancy, which must actually have been spotting.

I guess this is due to the lack of such a word *spotting*, in Spanish, our native language. There might be one, but not many people are aware of it.

Common misconception maybe? I didn't know about spotting until I read about it here a few years back.

Love,
Leni

------------------
dive into shine, even a deep darkness changes into shine, because i am believing the moment

Posts: 114 | From: El Salvador, but living in London :) | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blondie7297
Neophyte
Member # 27113

Icon 10 posted      Profile for blondie7297     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey everyone, im a new user here. i was just reading through some posts and this one came across as confusing. i once had a pregnancy scare and i went to my doctor to get checked even though i was on my period at that time i had heard from other people that you can get it even if you are pregnant. i asked my doctor about it and she said it was true, that you can indeed get your period if you are pregnant. after reading responses to the original post, i am very confused. someone please clear things up for me.

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A lot of people just use the word "period" to refer to any vaginal bleeding that lasts for a few days or more. More correctly, however, it refers to "menstruation" which is the uterus shedding its lining, because no fertilised embryo implanted during that month.

However, it is quite possible to experience spotting during the first few months of pregnancy which can occur on a roughly monthly basis, and can be mistaken for a light period. This would have been what your doctor was talking about.

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.