Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » question3

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question3
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, why is it that during my period I'm fun and totally up for a laugh whereas at around the time of ovulation I'm so tetchy that I instantly lose all my friends and boyriend? Like today :-(
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One word: HORMONES.

They go a bit whacky at certain points of your cycle. I, for example, before starting the mini-pill, used to feel very much in the mood for sex during my period, and not want it at all when I wasn't bleeding.

So getting tetchy is normal, and it's just one of those things. Try not to stress about it too much.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mini-pill? What is that called, medically?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hormone fluctuations can cause mood changes. Many people experience it during or just before their period, but it can vary.

If you're in a bad mood, ask for some space. Do something that'll put you in a good mood (a nap, a bubble bath, a good book, etc). If you say or do something that upsets your friends or boyfriend, apologize.

Your bigger problem may be your friends and boyfriend if you're "instantly losing" them, as you say. I'm just about the moodiest person i know ... My friends and boyfriend know this and they know when to give me some space, if i need it. If these people are just abandoning you because you're in a bad mood, that says more about them than it does about you.

The mini-pill is progesterone only. One brand of mini-pill is Micronor.

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 10-10-2005).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mini pill is contraception. I'm allergic to the oestrogens used in the combined pill, so I have to take the mini-pill. I take it every day, with no breaks, and it thins the uterine lining, stops ovulation and thickens cervical mucus to prevent sperm getting to an egg. (Not all mini pills prevent ovulation - Cerazette and Noriday, however, do, as I have used both).

The mini pill is slightly less effective than the full pill.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.