Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » another question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: another question
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it medically acknowledged that there is such a thing as "the point of no return" as a stage in sexual response, or is it just an urban myth? The theory of "the point of no return" is that when you have attained a certain level of necessary stimulation, you will experience the release of orgasm whatever happens - even if your grandma walks in, etc. etc.

[This message has been edited by NobodySaidItWasEasy (edited 10-10-2005).]

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the most part, no.

Heck, one can even have a buzzkill right in the MIDDLE of orgasm that cuts it off at the pass.

Remember, again, a majority of sexuality isn't physical, it's psychological and emotional.

So, per a question like this, or your last question about pressing one spot on anyone's body to guarantee orgasm or ejaculation, the answer is pretty much always going to be the same: a good way to know when you're dealing with either bunk or incomplete sex information is when it's presented as one-size-fits-all or as merely physiological.

Posts: 67131 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icygirl88
Activist
Member # 23887

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icygirl88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend talks about having a point of no return during sex, where he can't stop and just goes crazy till he ejaculates. Me on the other hand... I have been EXTREMELY close to an orgasm and then not done it for one reason or another. But I suppose in talking about this I am just talking about sex when we are alone together. If a grandparent walked in we'd probably both freak out and stop and cover up.... point of no return or not... because that would basically destroy the moment. So maybe the idea of the point of no return doesn't take into account outside distractions.

Just my own speculation.

[This message has been edited by icygirl88 (edited 10-10-2005).]

Posts: 72 | From: massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PERVasive
Activist
Member # 25065

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PERVasive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the point of no return is more a physical phenomenon. Certainly, after a certain amount of stimulation/arousal there comes (pardon the pun) a point after which a guy will ejaculate no matter what. This does not necessarily mean he will orgasm though. I've experienced plenty of times when I ejaculated, but didn't orgasm (though not often ).

------------------
- PERVasive

"Don't let your schooling get in the way of your education." - Mark Twain

Posts: 64 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NobodySaidItWasEasy
Activist
Member # 24765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NobodySaidItWasEasy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is that like? You ejaculate but get no pleasure or release out of it?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just FYI?

Someone can ALWAYS halt sexual activities without "going crazy." Icygirl, hopefully I'm misinterpreting your partner's approach, but in case I'm not, there is nothing, in either gender, which takes a sane person's sexual control away when they are aroused, at any poit. Nor will they go crazy if either a *certain* sexual activity doesn't continue (as in, a partner could easily swap from intercourse to masturbation without problems) or from halting the action altogether.

And yes, nobody, per PERVasive's comment, remember: ejaculation and orgasm in men are separate events. Often, they're interrelated, but not all the time. Sometimes men ejaculate without orgasm, sometimes they orgasm without ejaculation. That isn't to say neither are without pleasure or release.

Posts: 67131 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mophead
Activist
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mophead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it's a matter of "blue balls" or "going crazy." I think this PoNR (whether it's something real or not) is supposed to be a point where plateau will lead to orgasm, even if physical stimulation (or whatever) stops.
Posts: 752 | From: Canada | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.