Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » bc

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: bc
shon
Activist
Member # 23008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yet another queston about birth control...

anyway what do you think is better, the pill or an implant.

if i have a family history of strokes, then the pill is a bad idea right? my best friend nearly had one a couple of months back because she was on the pill...

the implant which i dont know how much it costs and i dont really like needles but im thinking that it would be better as i probably woulnt remember to take it all the time and it has a very high success rate.

also whats the difference between the pill and the mini pill.

Posts: 49 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kisses Me Pink
Activist
Member # 24198

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kisses Me Pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd advise you to talk to your gyno, or a doctor about options as far as birth control and what's best for you. I don't know much about implants, but if you have the money, it sounds like a worthy investment.

The difference between the mini-pill and the pill, is the mini-pill only thickens your cervical mucus, so sperm can't make it past your cervix. The pill keeps more eggs from being released so that when the sperm get there, there won't be any egg to fertilize.

Posts: 70 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladydexter
Activist
Member # 17567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ladydexter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nearly there, Kisses!

The mini pill does thicken cervical mucus, but it also reduces the uterus lining (which is why some women do not experience periods on the mini pill) and in some cases (Noriday and Cerazette in the UK certainly do this, not sure about others/in other countries) prevent ovulation, much like the combined pill.

The mini pill is more reliable, but for some women like me who are allergic to oestrogens in the combined pill, the mini pill is usually offered.

Posts: 336 | From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.