Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Birth control
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on ortho-tricyclen for about three years now, and i just had my period, everything is fine in that aspect. i am going to college in north louisiana, about four hours from my usual pharmacist. My mom filled my birth control for me and mailed it to me. I opened the pack to take my pill today, and realized that the pharmacist accidentlly gave me ortho-trycyclen LO. What should i expect different, and is there any effectiveness difference?
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it makes a difference, i should have a gyno appointment within the next month or so. But i just wanted to know now what to expect, and the effectiveness. I will keep taking it, because this one, even if it is different that mine is better than none, right?

[This message has been edited by kindascared (edited 10-04-2005).]

Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

I would really appreciate it if somebody could get back to me on this, because my boyfriend and i had sex on wednesday night with no condom, but he did not cum in me. Does Orthotricyclen Lo make a difference in the effectiveness if i have been on orthotricyclen for the past three years?
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you've not yet recieved an answer, it might be because we're researching, to ensure you get the best answer possible. Sorry for the wait!
Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Switching to any new pill formaulation may cause a difference in effectiveness because your body still has to get accustomed to the pill, so a backup should generally be used.

Both Ortho Tricyclcen and the LO version are, however, equally effective: the amounts of the progestins and estrogens are just what vary.

Regardless, given you were on the pill previously, and taking this one at the time, you have not likely had a pregnancy risk.

Posts: 67131 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.