Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Lowered sex drive.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lowered sex drive.
HempHippie
Activist
Member # 22303

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HempHippie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, normally my sex drive is at a maximum level like, I want it everyday. I have noticed that I haven't wanted it, like at all. It's been three weeks since I have had sex or even masterbated which normally I do one of those everyday. I don't know what the problem is. The guy who I have been with has even started to ask questions about it. Now these are the only things I can think of that would potentially lower my wanting of it.
1. I've just started the pill about 10 weeks ago I am on Levlen 28 and I am doing a continunal use, kinda like Seansonal, I am only going to get my period four times a year. Normally I am the most aroused I guess you would say around my period time, but I wont get it for another 6 weeks, so could this be an issue at all? I am not taking any other medication.
2. I got a DUI a few weeks ago and have been stressing about that ever since. Please before I start hearing all kinds of talk about this I only blew a .03 and was not pulled over for being suspected of drinking, I had a headlight out and was bringing other, more intoxocated people home. I lost my liecense and had to quit my job and its been on my mind everyday since. I got the DUI the day after the last time I had sex.
I was just wondering if these are legitimate reasons for my sex drive being extremly low, or could there be something else?

------------------
Not all who wonder are lost.

Reality is a cruch for people who can't deal with drugs.

I just got promoted due to Yes-I-Cannibis...oooh we have a kitchen?!?
-HJS

Posts: 56 | From: Deep woods of NH | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both of these reasons can definitely lower a person's sex drive.

Certain hormonal birth control prescriptions can have a side effect of lowered sex drive in women. This may be something you want to speak with a gynecologist about. It seems that sense you're feeling more sexually geared during the week off the pills (when the hormone levels in your body drop/change), it could be very likely that those particular hormones in that prescription are having that affect on you.

Stress, especially large stresses like the ones you're going through: dealing with a criminal charge, losing your liscence, losing your job, and probably any other negative things this has brought about, are another huge factor in sex drive. Since sex is primarily psychological, being overwhelmed with a lot of negative stress like you are at the moment can most certainly drive any sexual desire you'd normally have out of your mind. (I doubt the fact you had sex right before this happened is an issue, I don't know that for sure, but I'd more likely suspect it's just the stress itself, not some connection you made).

So, I'd start with talking to your gynecologist and see if maybe switching pill prescriptions may help. After that, it could be a matter of time to let some of this negative stuff in your life right now subside until you can get your life a bit more back to normal, or it may require some type of stress counseling or something similar, depending on what happenens with your situation and how you feel about it later, for you to get back in the mind and body set of being sexually interested and active.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.