Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » birth control

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: birth control
soccer21
Activist
Member # 15754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a question about my birth control. I am taking ortho tricyclin and have been for 3 years now. I have heard that if you take birth control for a certain amount of time, when you want to get pregant you might not be able to.... my boyfriend and i are getting worried that when we want to have kids we cant. So i am thinking that i might want to stop the pill and get a fertility test done at my doctors. Is this true or just a myth?
Posts: 62 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I know, there are no studies showing a correlation to prolonged use of hormonal birth con trol and fertility loss. i believe other problems that may be related are possible after prolonged use, but again I do not know enough about the studies that have been done to tell you.

I CAN tell you, however, that your gynecologist would be the best person to talk to if you have these concerns. I can also tell you that three years of taking hormonal birth control is NOT a prolonged enough time for there to even really be possible risks related with the birth control. Any studies or concerns I've ever heard of all speak of longer than five years of use. Still, you may want to speak to your gynecologist and they'll be able to fill you in more on what your real risks may be and what they aren't.

To summarize and pinpoint to the end of your question: at this point, unless your gynecologist tells you otherwise or you are having other problems with taking it, there is really no reason for you to be stopping hormonal birth control or getting a fertility test.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer21
Activist
Member # 15754

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soccer21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well i was hoping to be able to find out from soemone here because the earliest app. i can get to be able to talk to her is 10/17 and that quite some time away. But from what i gather i dont have any risks at this point in time correct?
Posts: 62 | From: New York | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, no risks. Also, you may want to schedual the appointment, just because it may be good to talk to a gynecologist in case you may have concerns now that you should address to look to talk about again a couple years down the road.
Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soccer21
Activist
Member # 15754

I did make the apt. thanks a bunch!

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.