Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Not urgent; but important

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Not urgent; but important
Liam
Neophyte
Member # 24724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I have posted two messages and have recieved great advice. I am starting school, again, tomarrow, and I have started a program with fellow students, called SADD, (students against destructive decisions) it is around at some schools but recently new at mine.
My school has an "over population" of pregnant girls and most of them say it is because they didn't know things such as antibiotics can cancel birth controll, "pull out method" is not effective...etc.
I was thinking that for a kick-off of the new school year we could host an assembly about sex, pregnancy, and STD's. We have had many assemblies but none that really teach you to take prevenative measures.
To host the assembly we need real facts or the school of course wont let us do it. The health teacher dont even talk about sex, my freshman year BOTH my health teachers skiped the chapter about sex. My biology teacher took out a week to teach it, but not all the kids have her AND the kids that have the other 2 teachs where told to read the chapter in there book on AIDs there was NO classroom discussion.
I was wondering if anyone has ever done this or would no how I could get real facts. Who would I even ask, like I said the only teacher who will talk to students about sex is my freshman biology teach and she will be happy to help BUT she thinks we need need more than just her.
Most school officals say it is a good idea but now I dont even no how to pull it off. My bio teacher will check around so will some of the other kids in the SADD program but usually we talk about drunk driving and you have cops come and host.
We want to tell people how to protect them selves, because if they want to have sex they will, so says "dont do it" it pointless.
Can anyone help me, I don't even know where to begin.
And I don't know if I was even supposed to post this message here, but I didn't know where else to post it, so sorry.

Posts: 17 | From: TX USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you are trying to find a speaker to come in and give a presentation, most planned parenthoods have a speakers board that sends educators to schools to give this kind of information session.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are there any universities located near you? If so, check out the resources they have available. Many colleges have student groups that focus on informing their peers (and teens) about sex ed issues. Also, you could probably find a professor or two who would be thrilled to come speak.

You can also look in your local phone book to find other clinics that might have speakers willing to come talk to your classmates. Planned Parenthood is an excellent suggestion as well.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Liam
Neophyte
Member # 24724

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Liam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am located near one university so who would do I need to talk to about getting a speaker? And does anyone know if the Planned Parenthood's give out condoms to the schools? My bio teacher gives them out to the students but she buys them with her own money, I know that has to get kind of costy.

Posts: 17 | From: TX USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Start at the university's health centre. If they can't do it, they may be able to point you in the direction of someone who will.

As for the condoms ... The health centre at my university always has condoms available for whoever wants them ... I don't know about giving condoms to everyone for an assembly. You could call PlannedParenthood too.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jewelgirl1
Neophyte
Member # 24178

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jewelgirl1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Another thing, it's the responsibility of the school to give a sex ed program, even if it's abstinence-only. The fact that they skip that is unacceptable, and it's great of you to change that.

On the Internet, you could look for speakers willing to travel to your area, or at the university health center, as pointed out.

As for facts, we have plenty right here. I'm sure that if you credited the authors and Scarleteen in a bibliography, you could print out and use the facts in the articles, which would explain birth control methods and using them properly.

I believe Planned Parenthood does hand out free condoms, and you could always pick up a few boxes. But ask the administration at your school first, because some schools do not allow the passing out of birth control.

Posts: 23 | From: Falls Church, VA, United States | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wilddove
Activist
Member # 17112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilddove     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Liam

I dont live in the USA so dont really have advice, but just wanted to say I admire that a teenage guy is being mature and involved in this sort of thing, it shows maturity and responsibility that its not just up to girls to know about how to prevent pregnancy. Well done if only more boys and men had your attitude

Posts: 112 | From: Ireland | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam, be sure to plan out your program very specifically and run the material by your school principal. The last thing you want to do is stir up so much controversy that you get banned, suspended or in whatever else kind of toruble.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bubblex
Activist
Member # 17452

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bubblex     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you're going to get condoms and planned parenthood wont supply them to you, order them in bulk off the internet. You can get really great deals around 30$ for 200 or so.
Posts: 70 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And please make sure you get permission from the school administrators to distribute condoms before attemping to do so!!!

BTW, if you ned help with your presentation, you can also call your local health department. I used to work in the STD Program for Los Angeles (i'm in foodborne illnesses now, but i digress), and as a health educator, i was sent to high schools, rehabs and colleges to teach people about STDs. I even devised a workshop for teaching about pregnancy, STDs, and self-esteem to college-aged women.

So yeah, your health department may be able to help you out.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OMega
Neophyte
Member # 24833

Icon 1 posted      Profile for OMega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it's really great what you're doing.

I'm part of an organization here in my home town that helps to teach about AIDS. We have this peer education group that goes to high schools to tell about "safe sex" and ways to prevent HIV and whatnot, but unfortunately all of the high schools have an "abstinence only" policy that we have to follow, so we can't really talk about alternatives to unprotected sex.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that you're doing a wonderful thing. Good luck!

Posts: 12 | From: Omaha, Nebraska, USA | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like a great idea, but be prepared for a backlash from conservative parents.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure to check out the laws in your state as far as sex ed goes... some states prohibit teaching certain things, and I don't know how that might or might not apply to a non-teacher (as you're a student) teaching it.
Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.