Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » im kinda scared

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: im kinda scared
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am on the orthotricyclen birth control pill and have been on it for a couple of years, and do take it at about the same time every day. I had sex on day 17 on my cycle, and my boyfriend did not cum inside of me. Now, it should be time for my period, and i havent really started. There has just been some very light bleeding, so i took a pregnancy test. it was negative. What is my risk of being pregnent? Thenk you in advence for your advice!
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're taking your pills properly, your chances of being pregnant are pretty slim.

Assuming it's been at least 10 days since your last risk, the pregnancy test should be accurate ...

So, relax

Do you honestly trust that the pill will work for you? If not, you may want to consider a back up method, such as condoms.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kindascared     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much for replying! What if my period still doesnt come? I am supposed to start my new pack of pills on sunday, and today is wednesday. What is my next step?
Posts: 127 | From: Louisiana | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another test on Sunday morning, before you take your pill, if it'll make you feel better.

If you're having light bleeding now, it sounds like your period is right around the corner. Think bloody thoughts.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

i cannot thank you enough for the advice and reassurance! its not really blood, though, but kinda brownish-discharge. if the test on sunday morning is negative, is it ok to start my new pack of pills? do i just forget about the missed period?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Anytime. 'Tis what we're here for

If the test Sunday is negative, i'd start your next pack. Even if you ARE pregnant, the birth control pills aren't going to harm anything.

However, if you don't get a regular period next month, i'd see your doctor.

(The brownish discharge is more than likely blood mixed in w/ discharge ... 'Old blood' is usually dark red or brown in colour.)

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 08-03-2005).]

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

OK, do you have any idea what could cause me to miss my period? I ALWAYS start on the wednesday of the placebo pills, except for this time.
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Umm ... Today's Wednesday. You're worrying about this WAY too early.

Seriously ... Relax. Sometimes periods are just late (and yours isn't even really late yet!) ... for no known reason.

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

OK, OK, I will try to relax... but there is no planned parenthood in my area. (i live in north Louisiana) is there any other type of clinic that i could go to..i would rather not go to my gyno(parental and financial issues)
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought I'd add that the pill makes many women experience much lighter periods every month, and sometimes even no period on certain months. Whether or not it's ever happened like this before, you might be just having a very light period this month.

My period was always "regular" for about the first two years I was on the pill, and now it's very very light and I skip a period about every third month or so. This winter I actually skipped five months in a row, which of course would have concerned me if I'd had a pregnancy risk.

I just wanted to point that out to hopefully ease your worry a little. You should take a home pregnancy test, but if it turns up negative then don't worry for a while.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

(Skipping five months in a row is never normal and should always be checked out by a doctor.)

Planned Parenthood

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply and ease my worry. I tried to relax and focus on my negative pregnancy test, and sometime today, i started my period! YAY! However, this period does seem to be much lighter than usual and came that day late. Could this be due to the hormonal birth control that i have been taking for the past couple of years, such as bubblegum said? is it possible for me to skip my "withdrawal bleed" (assuming no pregancy risk)?
kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

Thanks so much for taking the time out to reply and ease my worry. I tried to relax and focus on my negative pregnancy test, and sometime today, i started my period! YAY! However, this period does seem to be much lighter than usual and came that day late. Could this be due to the hormonal birth control that i have been taking for the past couple of years, such as bubblegum said? is it possible for me to skip my "withdrawal bleed" (assuming no pregancy risk)?
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

My periods are always a lot lighter right when they start than they are, say, midway through.

RELAX. Seriously. You're stressing out way too much over this way too early.

You shouldn't skip your withdrawal bleed. I was on the pill for years and my 'periods' never really varied all that much. If you have a light period this month and you're concerned, take another pregnancy test in a few days. If this one is negative too, you really need to calm the heck down

You may not want to hear this, but i have to ask; Are you sure you're ready to be sexually active at all right now? Obviously there's always a risk of pregnancy when you're sexually active, but is this risk really worth it to you, right now ... Considering all the anxiety it's causing you?

kindascared
Activist
Member # 24729

I have to agree, no it is not worth it at all. I have already spoken to my boyfriend, and he agrees with me. im in college, just got accepted into medicaL school, and have my whole life ahead of me. Thanks for showing concern, though!!
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Awesome. I'm one year away from my nursing degree. It's a lovely profession (medical/nursing in general ) ...

Good luck.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.