Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » warts treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: warts treatment
kamonieos
Neophyte
Member # 12736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamonieos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How reliable are these natural ointments you can put on warts to dissolve them? Brands such as Forces of Nature, Healing Natural Oils and Tetrasil? I found a link to these sites from WebMD
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
depends on how severe your warts are.

I don't have my list of treatment guidelines handy right now, but off the top of my head, I CANNOT think of any recommended over-the-counter remedies for genital warts. there are creams that are applied by patients, but those are Rx-only. Other treatments need to be done by a doctor or nurse.

umm, are you even talking about genital warts? or regular hand warts, too???

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kamonieos
Neophyte
Member # 12736

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kamonieos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I was referring to regular warts, but it does claim to rid all sort of warts including genital warts.
Posts: 8 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As far as regular warts go, the reliability depends on many factors. It depends on the wart itself, as well as how long it has been present, how large it is, how deep it is, etc. OTC treatments will work for some people on some warts, and won't work for others.

Trying out OTC methods first is probably going to be your best bet. Some of our patients have had good luck with patches/dots you put over the warts. I haven't heard anything extrodinary about those new "freeze-at-home" treatments. And there are those who swear by duct tape to take away warts. If they do not begin to disappear within a couple of months (at the most), then it is probably time to seek treatment from a professional. Also, if you are noticing the warts spreading to new areas or increasing in size or becoming more painful, then you need to have them treated.

------------------
Sarah Liz
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
00goddess
Activist
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 00goddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use tea tree oil to get rid of warts. It works like a charm. Clinical studies HAVE shown duct tape to work, but I have never used it.

Tea tree is, imo, safe to use on the genitals and many people use it for genital warts. However, be sure that you get a diganosis to be sure that genital warts is the problem, before trying any sort of treatment.

------------------

Posts: 50 | From: houston, TX | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ouch. duct tape.

that "works" because it's just surgically removing the warts. your doctor can do this *with anesthesia* in a clinic. Also, after the warts are removed, you need to make sure they don't get infected. So personally, I wouldn't recommend ripping them out with duct tape, but rather, see a clinician about it who can do it under more sterile conditions.

Other wart treaments include cryotherapy (freezing them off), LEEP (laser removal), TCA (trichloroacetic acid) wash, surgery (scapel or scissors), or electric needle.

------------------
Toll free STD and clinic information, and condoms sent to your door for Los Angeles County residents.
1 in 3 sexually active people will be exposed to a STD by the time they turn 24.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, Gumdrop, you don't put the duct tape on the warts and rip it off, you put it on there and leave it. There's something to do with the adhesive or the material or simply keeping it from air and light that works to make the warts go away.
http://www.aresearchguide.com/drkwarts.html http://www.aafp.org/afp/20030201/tips/8.html http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2002/10/14/health/main525523.shtml

Of course this method shouldn't be used on the genitals, though!

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"And when the answer that you want/Is in the question that you state/Come what may..." - Coheed and Cambria, "Blood Red Summer"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ahh, thanks for the correction, lem.

as dodgy as it sounds to me, it sure beats Tom Sawyer's wart cure using a dead cat.

------------------

Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gosh I seem to spend a lot of time talking about warts both here and in my everyday office practice. My experience is probably why wart treatments sell so well, effective or otherwise.

As an answer to the original post; none of the products you mentioned are likely to do anything besides separate you from your hard earned dollars and keep you entertained while your warts get better on their own. I looked at each site and can tell you the stuff is bogus. “Wart treatments is big money”. By the way, WebMD is very much supported by paid advertising banners. I am quite sure they did not endorse or suggest any of those names, I checked the treatment recommendations carefully on the site so these must have been paid for pop-up banners. I was in fact offered the opportunity to purchase several other “herbal and natural” remedies when I visited the webMD site.

The people selling them know that clinical research studies on wart treatment have better than 50% placebo response, meaning the tap water works about half the time when compared to active treatment, which in many cases is only slightly more effective. It is hard to know what to think in wart studies because you do not know if the warts just got better in spite of your efforts or because of them.

As a general rule - run away when you are referred to a testimonial as evidence that something works.

As to the <a style='text-decoration: none; border-bottom: 3px double;' href="http://www.serverlogic3.com/lm/rtl3.asp?si=24&k=duct%20tape" onmouseover="window.status='duct tape'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">duct tape</a>, here is a little trivia, it turns out that both Gummy and Lemming are correct, for flat warts the “approved medical application” of duct tape appears to destroy the wart directly, at least in part by tearing it up (yipes). The studies suggest that 20 consecutive “peels” (Kids, don’t try this at home) is effective – whatever that means in wart treatment.

For other warts, like plantar warts, the study in Pediatrics (the seminal duct tape wart treatment study) suggested applying the tape to the wart and an area around it and leaving it on overnight, day in and day out. The thought is that the excess hydration of the skin in part leads to eradication of the wart.

If my memory is not failing, the wart treatments in Huck fin also included the application of “stump water collected under a full moon” and some chant said while turning around three times…

There are some lovely folk remedies, some of which might actually work…

I hope this helps Y’all
* Edited to correct a really dreadful run on sentence...1-10-2005

[This message has been edited by Barbarosa (edited 01-10-2005).]

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gubblebum
Activist
Member # 15249

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gubblebum     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From someone who's had (common) warts numerous times, I can tell you my experience.

Twice I used the OTC Dr. Scholl's treatment and it worked. It takes awhile and it's painful, but it works for small amounts of warts if you start it early enough.

The last time I had to get them taken off at the doctor (it took more than once) and it was incredibly painful, I couldn't walk on my foot for about two weeks.

I can't answer your question directly, because I've never used herbal treatments. But I can vouch for the OTC methods if your warts aren't too out of control yet.

Posts: 213 | From: Spain | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.