Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » question about ammenorrhea and drug treatment

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: question about ammenorrhea and drug treatment
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
howdy

i just had an appointment this afternoon with a new gynecologist. first off, let me just say how much better it was going to an actual doctor who specializes in women's reproductive health than just having my regular GP do my annual pelvic/pap smear. i'm not saying that primary care physicians aren't qualified to perform those types of routine procedures, but, at least in my case, it is definitely worth it to actually see a gynecologist.

anyway, i wanted to give you all a little recap of my situation before asking my question.... i've posted questions about all of this over the past few years if you want to run a search on my name for more detailed info.

but if not... i'm 23. i had a regular period for 10 years. 2 years ago it just stopped for no apparent reason. i had no period for 3-4 months and when i finally asked my doctor about it, she put me on birth control to regulate my cycle. i took Alesse 28 for 1.5 years and decided to stop this past may (i ran out of my last pack and didn't refill). i wanted to see what my body was up to and i wasn't sexually active so i didn't need it for contraception. nothing happened until last month (october) when i finally had a period. i have not had one yet this month though i should have.

i told all of this to my new gynecologist. also, i have pcos and a thyroid disorder. she told me about a study that one of her research coordinators is about to start for women with ammenorrhea (women who do not have a period). the goal is to see if the drug prometrium (now FDA approved for peri- and postmenopausal women) can be effective for women with ammenorrhea. the study will last 12 weeks, include a full round of lab tests and office visits once or twice a month. the pills will be given to me free and the study also pays each participant $500.

i guess i'm just wondering what you all think about this? do you think it sounds like a good idea? my other option would be for the doctor to put me on another form of progestin called provera. but she said that while provera is a pretty good treatment for ammenorrhea, she really thinks that the prometrium is much better and she is almost 100% positive that it will be FDA approved for that use, but until then, she cannot prescribe it for me.

has anyone else ever participated in any kind of medical research study? this is very interesting and exciting for me but i need to decide if i want to participate by the end of this week because the study will start within the next few weeks and i have to go through the screening process.

anyway, i just thought that scarleteen would be the best place to go for some feedback. thanks!

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been part of a clinical study. As long as it is closely monitored, as it appears in your case, there is no danger. Just be prepared that the medication might not work. This is what clinical trials are all about. You might also be one of the patients who receive a placebo and neither you nor your doctor will know. This is what is called a double-blind study. But by contributing to the study you will help increase medical knowlege of the drug. As long as there are no risk factors I see no reason no to participate.
Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barbarosa
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 19894

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Barbarosa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love studies! Here in the US they are highly regulated, and every significant trial has to follow certain rules. Most institutions that sponsor research on people have to a Human Subjects review panel to look at study design, and assure ethical and safe treatment in the study.

In your case I want you to know that Prometrium is a kind of progesterone.

Also I have a couple of questions to review with yourself and the Dr. If you have PCOS and thyroid problems, your lack of periods may be from these problems, and that can relate to no ovulation. Current studies in PCOS show a greater impact from insulin resistance, obesity, and some other factors on ovulation and menstrual cycles.

I would just ask what role PCOS may be playing in your lack of cycles and review with your provider what makes sense for you.

Good luck!

Posts: 380 | From: Up North, Wisconsin | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gloworm
Activist
Member # 7235

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gloworm     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks for the comments.

Barbarosa,
yes, i know that prometrium is a progesterone. when i call the research coordinator back to let her know if i am still interested, one of my questions for her will be, given the recent studies showing the correlation between HRT and breast cancer in post-menopausal women, will this be a concern for a young woman like me. probably not but i still want to get as much information as possible before i make my final decision.

i already discussed my pcos and thyroid disorder with my gynecologist, including the medication that i take the treat the thyroid. she does not seem to think that there will be any conflict between the medication and the drug used in the study.
she is full aware that pcos is a likely culprit as to why i have an irregular/often absent period. i have used hormonal birth control to regulate my cycle. it worked but i did not like some of the side effects that it caused in me specifically. plus, i have no need for contraception right now and that is precisely why this study is being conducted, among other reasons. they want to determine the proper dosage of prometrium to be given to regulate the menstrual cycle of ammenorrhea patients who do not wish to take hormonal birth control.

anyway, thanks for your input. i still have lots of questions to ask my doctor and the research coordinator before i make my decision.
also, this will be a highly regulated study with several check ups and consultations throughout the 12 weeks. so i at least feel safe in the fact that they will be taking extremely good care of the study subjects.

i will keep you all updated on this.

Posts: 262 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.