Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » what do i do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what do i do?
beautiful_dreamer
Neophyte
Member # 13254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for beautiful_dreamer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Me and my boyfriend are ready to have sex..the only problem is I don't know who to turn to for advice on birth control methods or what is best for me personally. I cannot go to my parents because they naturally, would not approve. Is there a certain kind of doctor I should go to, and is this kind of contraception expensive? I'm rather low on cash...and I really could use some advice...any help would be much appreciated.

Lucy

Posts: 2 | From: Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady21
Neophyte
Member # 15020

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you that you're thinking ahead like this. So many people I know only considered birth control after becoming sexually active.

What seems like it will be simple can actually be frustrating and time-consuming. You might have to try several different methods before you find the one with the least inconvenience or side effects for you and your partner. You don't state your age, however you should be able to go to your family doctor for advice but if you're not comfortable with that, look up your local chapter of Planned Parenthood. (In larger cities there are often several different sexual health clinics, eg The Bay CEntre for Birth Control or the Hassle Free CLinic in Toronto). If you're a university student you there is probably a student health centre, and your student health coverage might even cover the cost of your contraception.

Speaking of cost, be careful where and how you buy your birth control because the cost varies widely. For example, getting the Pill straight from a prescription from my family doctor would cost me about $23/month, while I can get it for only $7/month at my university health centre. Other methods also vary widely in cost, so you might want to shop around a bit. Condoms are very cheap at drugstores and given out free at clinics. Used properly, they provide 88-99% effectiveness, so they should be used in conjunction with whatever else you choose for maximun protection against STDs and pregnancy.

One other cost issue that you might not think of is what I call the "peripheral costs". You'll probably need lubrication; about $10/bottle. If you choose foam and condoms or diaphragm/cervical cap, you'll be paying for spermicidal foams and jellies.

Again, choosing a birth control method is harder than it sounds. I urge you to go to sympathetic doctor who will take the time to thoroughly discuss the methods with you. Lastly, it can't hurt to have done some research ahead of time and have an idea of what you might be interestd in when you go to see the doctor.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Posts: 25 | From: Toronto, ON, Canada | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wobblyheadedjane
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 11569

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wobblyheadedjane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Awesome post Lady!

Two things: generally, we don't recommend spermicidal foams/jellies because the level of protection they offer is minimal, and many people are sensitive to the active ingredient in spermicide, which can irritate tissues and promote the spread of STDs more than prevent. So, avoid spermicide is possible.

Also, unless doing so puts you at risk of harm, it's good to be open with your parents about sexual health. It gives you someone to rely on in the future if you need help or advice, and parents can be pretty understanding if approached in a mature manner. You seem to be pretty thoughtful about birth control; could it be possible to approach a parent with information you've gathered and open a discussion?

Check out this awesome article on birth control options: Margaret Sangers Disneyland

Posts: 1679 | From: London, ON | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicidal foams, creams, and jellies, when used with a diaphragm or cervical cap, can be quite effective, but they're unnecessary when used with condoms, and the amount found on spermicidal condoms is too small to do any good. We don't generally recommend diaphragms or cervical caps, since they offer no STI protection, and are ill-suited to women just learning about their bodies, but for monogamous couples who can't use hormonal birth control they're a viable option.

Just wanted to clarify.

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
artist_girly
Neophyte
Member # 15154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for artist_girly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
just use a condom. they're cheap and actually make sex better if your boy is a virgin or kinda young. but condoms are age restricted in most states, so don't go to a pharmacy or any thing. i go to target.
Posts: 6 | From: tucson, AZ, USA | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DiamondGirl2K
Activist
Member # 9162

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DiamondGirl2K     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by artist_girly:
just use a condom. they're cheap and actually make sex better if your boy is a virgin or kinda young. but condoms are age restricted in most states, so don't go to a pharmacy or any thing. i go to target.

I believe a condom makes sex better and more enjoyable because used correctly, you can prevent pregnancy and most STD's. I don't think it necessarily makes sex better if your a virgin seeing as how people define that term differently. Virginity is not a medical definition. It's more of a state of mind. I don't think its true that condoms are age restricted. Condoms can make sex better no matter if you're 18 or 81 because what most people don't know is that people who wear condoms can actually last longer during sex because it delays ejaculation!

------------------
DiamondGirl
Boogie Black
9~27~01
@<<-----
Still Going Strong!
Forever and Always!

Posts: 137 | From: The Home of The Greatest: NY | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is NOT an age-restriction on buying condoms in the US. Buy them at Target, buy them at any drugstore, buy them at a grocery store (but not if you're in SoCal unless you want to cross a picket line), buy 'em wherever. And if some 'rule' seems at all questionable to you, you might want to do a little research before spreading it around, 'kay?

------------------
Milke, with an L, Mrs BD to you, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, WAOTA

The Earth says Hel-lo!

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.