Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » pill-vs-shot

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pill-vs-shot
hotrod
Neophyte
Member # 9938

Icon 5 posted      Profile for hotrod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was wandering what is the effectivness of the pill -vs- the shot (like which one is more effective) also i heard if your on the pill you may skip the placebos' and go on to the next pill if you dont want to have your period(is this true?)and if it is can you do this with the shot? Also another thing, kind of on the same subject, my fience and i have talked about me getting the shot and until now we have just done withdraw (i know...not a good idea) but anyway, once im on the shot if he doesn't withdraw will i still get pregnant? (i know there's a chance) but are they basing the shot's efectivness along with wearing a condom *(or would it still help to protect against pregnancy even without using a condom or withdrawing?)
i hope you can understand this, it's kind of hard to explain what im asking.
in advance to all who respond~Thank you very much!
Thanx~ Hot Rod

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Condoms, condoms, condoms. I know that's not the first question you asked, but honey, it's really, really important. Withdrawal is NOT a good method of birth control (as you already know), but it is an excellent way to end up pregnant and/or with an STD. Unless you and your fiance are willing to take that chance, please start practicing safer sex. (And while you're at it, since you've been practicing unsafe sex, I strongly recommend that you both get tested for STD's. Especially in women, it's possible for STD's to go undetected initially and cause serious problems down the road.)

Now, as to some of your other questions:

It is my understanding that the shot and the pill are pretty much equally effective. However, each has advantages and disadvantages, and I'm sure if you use the search function on this site you'll find more than one discussion on the topic.

Regarding skipping the placebo pills--it's a Bad Idea. While it may be possible to manuever your period a few days one way or the other, you should never do this without consulting your doctor. As for skipping your period altogether, menstruation is a necessary and natural part of the way a woman's body works. Your body needs it, and blocking the process by manipulating your pills is a bad plan.

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hotrod
Neophyte
Member # 9938

Icon 2 posted      Profile for hotrod     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanx moon, ok... yes we've been tested (i should have put that in too) anyhow i know it's important to be informed of STD's and we both are. but aside from STD info. one of my questions that i would still like to get cleared up a little more is: that i know it is a better idea to use a condom along with the shot but if we didn't and he also didn't withdraw would the shot still protect against pregnancy (i know it's not 100%) but would it have reasonable protection from pregnancy even without condoms or withdraw.
*kind of a confusing question~sorry*
again, thank you all very much for your responces~ Hot Rod

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without also using condoms, hormonal birth control will give you a high level of protection against pregnancy. However, as you know, it's not 100%, so using condoms as well gives you extra protection.

"Withdrawal", however, is not effective or reliable as a method of contraception anyway.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Women on the shot usually stop having periods altogether after about a year and experience light spotting between periods and changes in the period (usually lighter, but sometimes heavier) during the first year.
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.