Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » What is the youngest anyone has ever been to have a baby?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the youngest anyone has ever been to have a baby?
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 6 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin told me that an 11 year old just had a baby.I was wondering what is the youngest anyone has ever been to have a baby?
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Though this is certainly rare, to date, the youngest case of pregnancy with live delivery was to a five-year-old girl in Peru named Lina Medina in 1939.

Her beginning to menstruate at 2 and a half is attributed to a hormonal imbalance which basically fast-forwarded her sexual development. She became pregnant due to rape.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BananaWednesday
Neophyte
Member # 11101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BananaWednesday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
five? people can have babys at five? I was going to say about 10/11. how do people that young cope?
Posts: 6 | From: Far Away From Where I Want To Be | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In Lina's case, if I remember correctly, the baby was raised as by her parents as her brother, and it wasn't widely revealed until later (she was ten IIRC) that the baby was indeed hers.

Other young mothers cope in different ways; some raise their babies, others give their babies up for adoption, still others raise their babies with the support and help of their parents. Young mothers use the same coping techniques older mothers do; emotional support, patience, hard work, and a belief that their choices are sound and right choices.

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
About Lina (a sad case, indeed). She had a tumor in her pituitary gland. This caused her sex hormones to be released way too early, so by the time she was 5 (I even saw the photo, it was so weird!) she had full breasts, and honestly, I'm surprised her belly didn't burst because her pregnancy was about as big as she was. So imagine a 5-year-old body about 3 feet tall, head still disporportionately large, with all of her secondary sex characteristics (armpit hair, breasts, pubic hair).

Lina died at a young age (i forget how young, but i don't think she lived to see 8) because the tumor (the pituitary gland is located in the base of your skull) damaged her brain.

Anyway, her case is an anomaly. Not many people get pituitary tumors, and even fewer of them have the misfortune of being sexually abused.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shann2002
Activist
Member # 10090

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Shann2002     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that's a remarkable story. Can u tell me the website u got that info from so that i can read more about it?
Posts: 127 | From: Da Dirty South | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found this one: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/020822/5/ohky.html

this site is interesting: http://www.sexualrecords.com/WSRprev.html

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it's pretty well documented, but i heard about Lina during my human reproduction class last year. you can read more about her in textbooks and journals as well.

------------------
Correlation does not equal causation.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for telling me that...that's pretty sad... but interesting...
Posts: 95 | From: Somewhere USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 9 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, Lima is now 68, and her son died at the age of 40...that's freaky...
Layra
Activist
Member # 8047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Layra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
some years ago i saw an article about a woman about 26 years (i'm not sure about the age)had a baby girl and the doctors were surprised because this baby had another baby inside of her. The doctors had to make a cesarea to her. Both survived. I don't know if it's really true,because i haven't hear about it since then, but i do remember i heard it.
Posts: 89 | From: San JOSe, Costa Rica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 12 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is weird...becoming a mommy and then finding out that you are a grandma?!Hee heee.
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm- I don't see how that could be possible (the latter case about the fetus inside the fetus) at all. Probably some sort of urban legend, is my guess.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 4 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beppie:
Hmmm- I don't see how that could be possible (the latter case about the fetus inside the fetus) at all. Probably some sort of urban legend, is my guess.

Neeggaattiivvee...no urban legend here, tiger. In fact, such a rare case just occurred last week in Jordan.
http://www.upi.com/view.cfm?StoryID=20021226-095815-5288r

Certainly sounds wild, but nature does funny things sometimes.

------------------
BruinDan, "Number Three," PSOM

"Battery Stolen; Youth Charged"

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
~jess~
Activist
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ~jess~     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thats kinda freaky.

------------------
my new world

Posts: 278 | From: Oregon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, that is incredibly interesting. But as I understand it from the article, the fetus inside the fetus was probably the "absorbed" identical twin of the baby that was brought to term. So it's different from the case of Lina Medina who had a child that was genetically her daughter.
Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cutie_101
Neophyte
Member # 8263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cutie_101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my baby cousin had her first baby at 9 years old.
Posts: 30 | From: Homestead Fl, 33033 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KandyKorn17
Activist
Member # 9729

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KandyKorn17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my gosh, Beppie, I was just about to bring that up! Has anybody here heard of vanishing twin syndrome? Like 1 in 8 single births start out as a twin pregnancy, but one of the twins dies and the tissue is absorbed into the surviving fetus. Weird, huh? I've been doing a lot of research on this lately.
Posts: 98 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wybb
Neophyte
Member # 11199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for wybb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't even want to imgain if I have a kid she have a baby at the age of 5... even 7 to 10.
Posts: 12 | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wybb, having kids that young is impossible for most girls, and tends to be EXTREMELY uncommon. Generally, it happens in cases of child abuse, when it happens at all.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

I want a boy for my birthday . . .

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrQuack5
Activist
Member # 2748

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrQuack5     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Initially, the doctor thought I was twins. Maybe that's what happened...
Posts: 290 | From: Minneapolis | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
oohlala34
Activist
Member # 11096

Icon 7 posted      Profile for oohlala34     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow!This thread is getting big!(I just needed to say that).
If I ever got pregnant at all before I was married, my parents would probably fry me.But, I don't have to worry anymore - I just broke up with my BF But the strange thing is - I don't care!Haa!Haaa!(I'm getting a little weird, aren't I?)I just hope that my 15-year old cousin (I think she's 15) doesn't get pregnant.She got her first REAL boyfriend when she was ten!But, it's none of my busy-ness, I never see her anyway.

Candi0724
Neophyte
Member # 22316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Candi0724     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had my first baby at 12 and my second at 16.
Posts: 8 | From: St. Louis, MO,USA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.