Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Vaginal Odors

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vaginal Odors
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, I did a search and came up with 6 or 7 topics, but not a one of them answered my question.

In the two days after my period, I have noticed a drastic change in my vaginal odor. Now, my smell has been consistent for 4 years or so. However, I have no itching, burning, and my discharge is of a normal consistency, and color.

I am on ortho tri cyclen. I cannot be pregnant, as I have not put myself in that position to worry.

The only thing I can think of is that I had semen on my palm, and touched my pubic hair with my finger tips after having wiped the semen off. Yes, I know it was stupid not to have had him wearing a condom.

My question is, what may have brought upon this change?

It's kind of bugging me, but I can't get a papsmear until September. Insurance won't cover it.

------------------
Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!

Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! --- HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't think this wold call for a pap smear, and you can go to a Planned Parenthood for very low cost on a sliding scale, so perhaps you might consider that.

Having said that, its normal for there to be changes in the smell throughout your cycle. What are we talking about here - metallic, yeasty, eggy, fishy?

Metallic is pretty usual for post-menstruation, for example.

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not quite any of those. I don't know how to describe it. My normal smell is very faintly fishy. Now I'd say it is a bit more metallic. It just struck me as odd, as this has never happened in my 4 years of having my period.

Usually, there is no change what so ever during my cycle, with the exception of my menstural fluids.

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not actually sure why the smell changes, but it does, although it may be an imperceptable change. I think it has to do with the fact that what's coming out of your vagina changes through your cycle, although again, that may be more or less noticable.

This is probably more than you want to know about a total stranger, but anyway - I get a metallic smell just before and after I menstruate, which I just associate with blood. Blood tastes pretty metallic (although I've never tasted my menstrual blood, just for the record.) I've never really discussed the smell of menstrual blood with anyone, but mine is pretty earthy, kind of Eau de Potting Soil.

Around ovulation, I have noticable egg white discharge, which is normal; that smells, well, eggy. The rest of the time, there's either no smell, just a "me" smell, or a faint fish smell.

It's a good thing I have a 47 day cycle or there would hardly be time for all these scents!

But again, if it concerns you or feels like an unnatural change, you should see a healthcare practitioner if you want to check up on it. You know your body best.

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.