Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » condom faliure rates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom faliure rates
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
this has probably been asked before, but i've been unable to find it, so i'll go ahead and ask :-)

i found elsewhere on the site that condoms have a failure rate of 10-15%. this doesn't seem very reliable to me, however, lots of people seem to be all for using them. so, my main questions are: does this include condoms used incorrectly, or only used correctly? and what exactly does condom failure entail-- i realize the obvious (breaking), but does it also include slipping off the penis while inside? anything else?

and, finally, (i'm almost done, really!) is there any way to increase a condom's effectiveness?

thanks!

Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beppie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 94

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beppie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most condom failures are due to misuse of condoms- this includes not using enough lube, using the wrong type of lube (oil based lubes like vaseline are a BIG no-no) using expired condoms, using condoms that have not been stored in conditions with a stable temperature and indeed, cases in which the condom slips off the penis before the conclusion of coitus. All of these sorts of failure are included in the 10-15% statistic.

In terms of increasing a condom's effectiveness, the answer is LUBE, LUBE, LUBE!!! Many of the staff and volunteers here really like Astroglide, but there's also KY Jelly and a number of others. Also, remembering to use your condoms for fellatio (and dental dams for cunnilingus) is important- no good protecting yourself from STDs during coitus if you're putting yourself or your partner at risk through oral sex!

If you're talking in terms of reducing pregnancy risk, then the best thing to do is to use a back up method of birth control, such as the pill, or if that is not an option, to avoid coitus around the time of ovulation- but only do this in conjunction with using condoms!

[This message has been edited by Beppie (edited 06-23-2002).]

Posts: 2710 | From: Australia | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
celery
Activist
Member # 5594

Icon 1 posted      Profile for celery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To increase Effectivness:
quote:

• Lubrication is really important. Condoms have a high rate of success, but that rate drops when they aren't used properly, and one of the easiest ways to break a condom is by letting it get dry. Buy some lubricant when you buy condoms. Not only will it help them work better, well-lubricated sex is more enjoyable sex for both you and your partner. Do NOT use butter, oil, Vaseline or ANY lubricant other than lubricants intended for use with condoms. If you could buy it in an aisle in the store where food also is, it probably isn't the right kind of lube.
  • Be SURE the lube you use is WATER-BASED. Other lubricants can destroy condoms.

That was taken from an article here at scarleteen http://scarleteen.com/infection/condom.html

quote:
quote from http://sexuality.about.com/library/weekly/aa090699.htm?once=true&
Effectiveness
Among typical heterosexual couples who initiate use of latex condoms for men, about 14% will experience an accidental pregnancy in the first year. If condoms are used consistently and correctly, about 3% will become pregnant.

I hope that helped a bit.

[This message has been edited by celery (edited 06-23-2002).]

Posts: 1000 | From: Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarvellousPurple
Activist
Member # 8776

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarvellousPurple     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ah, many thanks :-) i saw that statistic and was a bit concerned, but you've calmed my fears for the most part.
Posts: 475 | From: Back in Providence, RI | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.