Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Contraceptive Implant for men

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contraceptive Implant for men
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 3 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting news:

A contraceptive hormonal implant for men goes on trial. It might be marketed as soon as 2005 and is similar to the hormonal contraceptive implants for women (Norplant/Implanon). The major difference though is that men with the implant need additional testosterone injections ever y 4 to 6 weeks.

quote:

Akzo Nobel's Organon pharmaceutical unit said that unlike the male pill, which is also under study, the implant releases a constant dose of sperm-blocking hormone whereas pills are subject to peaks and troughs.

``The results of the study are expected by the end of 2002, and will provide the answer to whether long-term reliable, safe and reversible hormonal contraception for men can be achieved by the method being tested,'' the firm said in a statement.

Organon said 120 European and U.S. volunteers, aged 18 to 45, would receive implants containing etonorgestrel -- a form of progestogen also present in the female contraceptive pill. The hormone, released from tiny rods implanted under the skin of the arm, throttles sperm production for about a year. The men will have testosterone injections every four to six weeks to maintain their other male traits.

Last year Organon announced it was starting full-scale clinical trials of a potential male contraceptive following ``very encouraging'' results by researchers at the Centre for Reproductive Biology in Edinburgh. The Scottish study, in which 60 men received the female hormone progestogen desorgestrel and a testosterone implant, showed a zero sperm count in all cases.

Researchers noted that the only side effects were similar to those sometimes seen with women taking oral contraceptives -- the men put on a bit of weight.

``The results found in studies performed until now have been so encouraging, showing completely reversible blockade of sperm production without major side effects that we can't wait to move forward and start with this new study,'' said Dr. Fred Wu from Manchester Royal Infirmary, one of the participating centers.

Dr. Richard Anderson, study investigator at the Centre in Edinburgh said: ``This will finally prove whether a male pill is a figment of our scientific imagination or whether it will become a reality within the next five to six years.''

In my opinion, (once this has been tested more thoroughly, of course) this could end up being a decent back up method of birth control either for couples who aren't sure yet whether their family planning time is over (and who could hence choose a vasectomy or other form of final birth control) or for single or partnered men who want additional protection to condoms and do not want to rely on their partner to provide that birth control.

In general though, I think the new non hormonal long term method of birth control for men that Dzum posted about a few days ago sounds much more promising. - Simply because I think any non hormonal yet reliable method of birth control is usually preferable to a hormonal one.

Any opinions?

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
would this protect from stds? or will men stillejaculate seminial fluids sans sperm?

-justine

------------------
Cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any
Sense of compassion
Between supposed lovers/brothers

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pixie69
Activist
Member # 406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pixie69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that that is very cool. I'm all for this. However...I'm not all for a male birth control pill. I'd imagine any guy I'd be sleeping with I would trust, but I wouldn't be able to trust them to take their pill on time, every day. It's not really a matter of trust, it's a matter of it effecting me. Because for the most part, if I get pregnant, the guy can walk out, he can leave or whatever. I still have my uterus and fetus, and I can't just walk away from it. I have to decide what to do with it and it will effect me (both physically and mentally) more than it could ever effect him.

So I'm all for the implant, but not for the pill

------------------
Brittany
Scarleteen Advocate

"Just say no" fights teen pregnancy the way "hey, cheer up" fights manic depression.

Posts: 1339 | From: Las Vegas, NV, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SweetBeyond
Activist
Member # 3250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SweetBeyond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so cool! I think it's a great idea/invention. My boyfriend always says "If there was a pill for males, I'd take it." Now it's time for him to see how rough it is taking pills/injections and that kind of emotional altering stuff.
Posts: 63 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seraphim, this wouldn't protect from STDs at all. - If I understand this all correctly, men with the implant would still ejaculate normally, just without sperm. Even if men stopped ejaculating completely it wouldn't offer any STD protection - Not all STDs are linked to ejaculate per se, things like HPV or Herpes can be transmitted through skin to skin contact, after all.

For non-fluid bonded couples, condoms would still be necessary. This would be just a backup like the pill.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"Through repetition the magic will be forced to rise."
Alchemical Precept

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
golden101
Activist
Member # 3133

Icon 1 posted      Profile for golden101     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that's very interesting. It's about time they created something for a man . I think that's really cool. That would help out a lot for a couple that doesn't want to have any kids. That's something that im going to look forward to. But is it a temporary thing or is it permenant?
Posts: 227 | From: U.S.A | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pixie69:
However...I'm not all for a male birth control pill. I'd imagine any guy I'd be sleeping with I would trust, but I wouldn't be able to trust them to take their pill on time, every day. It's not really a matter of trust, it's a matter of it effecting me. Because for the most part, if I get pregnant, the guy can walk out, he can leave or whatever. I still have my uterus and fetus, and I can't just walk away from it. I have to decide what to do with it and it will effect me (both physically and mentally) more than it could ever effect him.

EXACTLY! Just what I was thinking. I mean what if they just forget one day and that ends up getting you pregnant. Oh my. I'd much rather be blaming my self for my mistake than to never know for sure if he forgot to take the pill or the pill just didn't work.

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
girly2499
Activist
Member # 4188

Icon 1 posted      Profile for girly2499     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by golden101:
But is it a temporary thing or is it permenant?

I believe the article said it could be reversed.

Posts: 87 | From: nebraska, usa | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The article said the implant would last fro about a year. Apparently additional testosterone injections would be needed every 4 to 6 weeks.

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.