Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Where do you get your sexual health care?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Where do you get your sexual health care?
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering today, where you all get your sexual health care. Do you go to a Planned Parenthood clinic, a local sexual health clinic, a clinic on campus or do you go to a doc that has his/her own office? Is (s)he a normal GP or an OB/Gyn or Urologist or still your paediatrician?

How did you decide to go where you go to get your sexual health care at the moment? Did someone recommend your current doc to you?
If you go to a clinic – have you been treated by the same doc every time you have been there? Do you think that's important?

In general, do you think you get the care you need? Do you think your doc is well trained to assist teens to get good sexual health care and does (s)he help you to learn things that you need to know, such as Safer Sex? Do you feel that are you treated as someone who can make responsible decisions and is informed or do you feel that because you are young, you are treated as an "irresponsible kid"? Did you feel that you had a choice when you went in to get birth control, or did you feel that your doc pushed for hormonal birth control?

If you are discontent with the sexual health care provider you have at the mo – what would the perfect one be like?
If you aren't seeing one yet (and if you are already sexually active, then you should start seeing one!) – what do you expect from your doc-to-be? Do you already know where you will go?

Let's share some stories about the people who help us look after our sexual health.

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
University Health Services. They know we students like to squirrel around whenever possible, so they offer us all the right services.

and my father kees me supplied with my birth control pills and various other medications i may need. i suspect he may know what's up, but really doesn't want to talk about it. then again, he hasn't developed a serious dislike for my boyfriend, so maybe he doesn't know.

------------------
| |: BGBGDGBG BGBGCGBG :| |

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SlowCookie
Activist
Member # 589

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowCookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to a PP clinic and had my first gyno exam a year ago. The nurse practitioner was the nicest lady. She was an older woman who was always smiling. She seemed to really care, answering what ever questions I had. I was comfortable, chatting away as she examined my breasts. I didn't get the "you're a young, stupid teenager, who shouldn't be having sex anyway" attitude. Everyone in the office was really nice about everything.

I have an exam scheduled for later this month but it's at the university health center since I'll be entering college this fall. We'll see how that goes.

Posts: 681 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get my care from Planned Parenthood. I went there because my insurance didn't cover birth control and the clinic was near my school so it was convenient. I haven't been treated by the same doctor every time, but there are only a few there so I pretty much know the people there and I trust them.

I think the people there really know their stuff. They ease any of my worries and are well prepared to answer any questions I have.

Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get my health care from my school's Women's Clinic, which has two nurse practictioners who specialize in gynecology and a gynecologist on staff.

I've started seeing the same NP for my annual exams and any other needs I might have, and she's fantastic. She's quick, gentle, has a sense of humor, usually suggests STD testing and safer sex before I ask, but if she hasn't suggested something, is always willing to listen and recommend tests or procedures that I bring up. Plus she gives me lotsa free pill samples and stuff.

Erin

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlirtieGirlie
Activist
Member # 2510

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FlirtieGirlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to a pediatritian who recommended me to a gyno since I told her I was sexually active. Before I went to my gyno, I went to a Planned Parenthood center.

------------------
A good friend will bail you out of jail, but a best friend will be sitting next to you in the jail cell saying "THAT WAS AWESOME!!"

If there's no chocolate in heaven, I ain't going :)

I Love You Dan!!

Posts: 141 | From: The Bolton Ghetto, Mass. :-) | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
magpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 2340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for magpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I go to a local women's clinic. My mom sent me there when I told her I wanted to go on the pill. My gynocologist is really nice and she really understands everyones situation.
Posts: 286 | From: Ames, IA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siren
Activist
Member # 3243

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As of now I'm just going to Planned Parenthood. I first went there because I wanted a full STD screening (which was in November 2000, but I should have gone A LOT sonner).

I just feel more comfortable there because there wasn't a bunch of adults looking at you like, stupid teenager. The people that go there are teens, and the people there are really, really nice. They offer counseling, talk to you about any problem you feel you might have (no matter how little), help you decide on a birth control that's right for you, and they always make me feel like you're the one who makes the final decisions. Not them, not your parents. I felt responsible after my first appointment.

But in the next few months I'm going to a regular gyno at my doctors office. I'm a little nervous about it, but glad that I will have a more permanent gyno who knows everything about me, instead of seeing a different person every visit.

------------------
Lil Siren
-Scarleteen Advocate
"Those are some BIG ice cubes...."

Posts: 190 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniL
Neophyte
Member # 4464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JenniL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My OB/GYN is the lady that delivered me (I made her miss a flight for her vacation). When I started going to her (Sept. 2000) she laughed, simply because she couldn't believe that I was "all grown up". Usually she doesn't take patients under 18, but my mother wouldn't let me go anywhere else. She felt that it was important that I go somewhere that has a comfortable atmosphere and have a doctor that we both feel at ease with. When I see Dr. J I don't feel nervous or anything, I can ask any type of question and she'll tell me like it is, no fabricating or anything. Hopefully by the time I have a child, she'll still be practicing and assist in the delivery!

~Jenni

Posts: 22 | From: H*ton, NY | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, Jenni, the same thing almost happened to me, my mom used to go to the doc who delivered me, too (and who is our next door neighbour), and to avoid going to him, I simply chose my own doc, the one where both my cousin and aunt go to.

I like my gyno, he is friendly and open and explains everything, manages to get me extra tests, he is the perfect doc, indeed.

Because our neighbour is going to retire soon, my mom went to MY gyno a few weeks ago, when she needed a D&C and wanted to start hormone therapy. Very odd, because she kept telling me how cool my gyno is. Mixed up roles, but very entertaining!

------------------
Caro
~spanking new Scarleteen Sexpert~

"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.