Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » First Period (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: First Period
$uMMeR
Activist
Member # 2658

Icon 1 posted      Profile for $uMMeR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I got my first period in July 1999....I actually remember the precise date: 9th July 1999.

But anywayz, I'd just got off the computer, it was around five, my dad was in the garden and I decided to have a shower...I'd read about the reproductive system, learnt it, and about periods, but nothing prepared for the shock I saw when I was undressing....

My first thought was: "Oh hell, I'm sick. I've got cancer!" And then I started running around the house, holding my undies in the air with one hand, and holding a towel around me with another, screaming, "Dad! Dad! Dad!"

I ran into the garden, crying, in full view of the neighbours (and I live in a neighbourhood which is pretty conservative - to an extent) and yelled, "Dad! Get me to a doctor! I got cancer!" and I shoved the bloody undies in his face.

And then he smiled and said, "Don't panic. You've just had your period."

Looking back, I wonder why I didn't come to the conclusion I was sick instead of the one that I had had my period...I knew it'd happen soon...gosh, that was a very embarassing way to become a woman

------------------
*Read my diary

*Read my page

*And...alwayz :)

Posts: 194 | From: city of Anghelz | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mickey
Neophyte
Member # 3261

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mickey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine in october last year. Nothing special happend no celebrations or anything! The first time i got my period it was really heavey and then it was 10 weeks late!!! Then i got it in januray and it was really light ! And now it's 8 weeks late! Crazy body of mine!
Posts: 6 | From: Alice Springs | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bgchick
Neophyte
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bgchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I first got my period in school. I got sooo scared when I saw blood-I thought I was bleeding, ot I'm gonna die! LOL!! I was also really worried about it leaking, cuz I was wearing white jeans. I had to use some paper towels I found, cuz I didn't have a pad. It was really unexpected. When I got home, I just told my mom, and she was like "oooo, I knew it would be sometime soon" and she hugged and kissed me I love my period!!! I feel soo good about having it, and it's not annoying to me. I just love it!!!
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bgchick
Neophyte
Member # 2345

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bgchick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
oh yeah-I forgot this-you know how most of you guys have like a heavy period at night? Well, my period stops when I go to bed! It's heavy in the morning, when I wake up, it's strongest when I go to school, but around 2 hours after I come home, It's soo light! And I don't have it at all at night!!!!!! I'm happy about that, but isn't it kinda weird?
Posts: 37 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lynne
Activist
Member # 713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lynne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bgchick, it's probably because of gravity that your flow differs at different times of the day. When you're sleeping, you're lying flat, so a lot of blood simply stays inside of you instead of dripping out. When you stand up in the morning, all of the stuff that was inside of you falls down and out. By the time school's over, all of the blood from the previous night is flushed out of your system, so you're back to your regular flow, which is lighter in comparison to your regular flow plus what's built up during the night.
Posts: 266 | From: Portland, Oregon | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bgchick
Neophyte
Member # 2345

I thought that gravity might be the reason. Thanx Lynne But then why do all my friends or realtives (women that is) "bleed" at night too? Could it be that it's different cuz most of them had their periods for longer time than me, and their periods are just havier than mine? That would make sense

LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that would certainly make sense, Bgchick

Remember, everyones period is different. Also, your cycle will change every 5-7 years or so (I think, don't quote me on that lol) so maybe in a few years, you WILL bleed at night.

Gravity is defineatly the culprit! If you have a glass of water (resembling your uterus full of endometrium on it's way out) and you tip it upside down, what's gonna happen? The water will fall out !! Now turn the cup on it's side, and only some of the water comes out. When you go to sleep, your cup (or uterus) will fill w/ more water (or endometrium) and when you do get up in the morning (now class, turn your cup upside down lol), everything will fall out

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread for so long.

I got it when I was 11 (and a half). I knew what was going on, and I knew I'd want to remember the date, so I wrote it down (I still have the notebook it's written in at home, which is good, 'cause I don't remember the date, just that it was mid-summer the year I was eleven). I never had more than mild cramps, so that wasn't a problem. I thought of it as a mild inconvenience...and an embarassment. I was another 'hider.' And the funny thing is, my mom and I have always been really close, and she'd read me the "What's Happening To My Body? Book for Girls" in full the year before, but I just wasn't comfortable telling her. Or anyone. I didn't want my little brother to tease me. I "borrowed" materials from my mom's bathroom and used toiletpaper and hid my underwear and only threw things out when I could tie them up in a bag and sneak them out to the big trashcan just before the garbage was going to go out. Mom only found out about 7 months later.

Mom was really hurt that I didn't tell her. I think it's still a disappointment for her. I wish I could go back and do it over. *starts tearing up*

Anyway... Personally, I think it was mostly because I didn't feel ready to be growing up, not at all, and I didn't want to accept it. That's also why I never started shaving or wearing a bra... I sure wasn't about to bring it up, and when my parents suggested them, I turned bright red and said I wasn't interested. Shaving was dropped, but the bra thing actually became an issue. My parents said that I really needed to wear a bra. They went so far as to ask my best friend's mom to take us to the mall so I could get a bra. My Auntie Jessica came over to visit and told me how my breasts would end up drooping down to my waist if I didn't wear a bra (doesn't that mostly happen only if you don't wear a bra when you're *nursing*?). It was so weird. These people all used to be hippies, you understand! It's one of the ONLY times I can ever remember my family pressuring me to be normal. My mom even said that if I didn't wear a bra to cover up my nipples that guys would think that I was "trying to tell them something." WTF! Anyway, the end result was that by the time I would have been comfortable with going shopping for a bar (when I was 12 or 13) I didn't want to look like I was giving in to everybody telling me what to do.

Now I just find them uncomfortable. AFAIC, they're only fit for dressing up and off-road biking.

But back to menstruation. I guess if me-now were to design an ideal menarche, it'd be something like this. Mom and I would have discussed it, not just in general, or what happened to other people, or what happened to her, like we did, but what I would do and should say and what she would do. And the other thing I wish I'd had was...stuff! A variety of different kinds of flow-catching devices to try. Information and equiptment for fertility charting (I'd probably have started when I was 13 or 14 if I'd known about it. Freak that I am.). Maybe a charming book or two...

My mom did give me, after a few months had passed, an article that she'd clipped many years before and discovered in the basement. It was a story in some magazine: "Snow White and the Seven Menstrual Dwarves." I might even still have it. It was pretty funny. Snow's mom asks the magic mirror if Snow is becoming womanly, and finally one day the mirror says yes... a maiden/mother/crone woman-figure (Grandmother Moon?) comes and talks to the mother about the new stage of life *she's* entering as she reaches menopause and her baby's reaching maturity, and Snow herself is visited by the seven dwarves... The had names like sleepy, creative, bitchy, crampy... and the last one was paraphenelia who brought pads and belts and things. Snow was rather distraught, but the dwarves explained what she was in for and that it was normal and that it was perfectly reasonable to take some time off during her "moon time." It was pretty cool...

Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cahuna
Neophyte
Member # 3278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cahuna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings,

This is an interesting board considering that I am twenty years old and have barely ever spoken about these topics. I received my period when I was thirteen and a half and it was December 23. I went to the bathroom that evening, saw a little bit of blood on my underwear, and promptly commenced trembling. In the span of about two minutes I convinced myself that I had simply hurt myself somehow and this was not really my period. My mother had spoken to me about sexuality issues about a year prior to this and I had sex education in sixth grade, but I refused to believe that I would ever grow up, I did not desire to be a woman and seemingly inherit all of the attendent responsibilities. I did not utilize any protection that evening and went to sleep attired in my underwear. My bed was slightly messy the following morning and I took my sheet to the bathroom before my parents woke up in order to clean it. I could not make it spotless and decided to hide the sheet, but I did not dress my bed in a new sheet. When my mom entered my room later that morning, she inquired where my sheet was and panicked, I replied that I didn't know. She asked if I had gotten my period and I repeatedly denied it, but eventually I became so anxious that I decided to say yes. My mom reminded me where her products resided and then left the room, leaving me wondering how I would ever be able to look her in the eyes again. I continued receiving my period for two years and then they stopped due to anorexia and remained gone for three and a half years. I was not pleased when they returned and I still tremble when it commences each month.

Posts: 11 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
krazee
Neophyte
Member # 3255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for krazee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 1st period was when I was 13+, during a vacation to Hong Kong. Needless to say, I was torally unprepared.
I woke up one morning, staggered into the bathroom and found this GIGANTIC stain in my panties. And since I didn't know what to do, I sent my li'l sis to the room my parents were staying in to request for help -- URGENTLY!
So while while my mum and dad were scouring alien territory for pads, I was busy cleaning my stained panties in my hotel room, with a wad of tissues stuffed up my panties. Man, was that uncomfortable!!
Finally, my mum found a grocery store near the hotel we were staying in and bought a box of pads at a ridiculously high price.
So anyway, that pretty much ruined my trip to Hong Kong -- I kept leaking during the tours and I had these terrible cramps!
Actually it was quite a relieve when it came, I always felt kinda abnormal coz all my frenz had their period already. That sounds so dumb now...
My mum made quite a big fuss outta it, went round telling everyone she knew as soon as we got back I'd got my period... I was kinda embarassed coz my even crush heard of it!
So that's my 1st period...

Posts: 3 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aquamarine
Activist
Member # 3296

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aquamarine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great thread, guys! Some of the stories sound familiar. I happened to be eleven years old, and being the youngest in my grade, I had been expecting my period for a while. It was a Monday and I had bought new clothes the day before (oh, the memories!). Much to my relief, I discovered the telltale stain in the morning...somehow I had this mortal fear that I would receive a visit from the menstrual fairy at some inopportune time.

My mother came from a foreign country and her mother wasn't properly educated about menstruation, so my mom had to go through her first years post-menarche thinking that her period was an awful, shameful thing. After her unlucky experiences concerning the onset of puberty, she made sure that I would never lack correct information in that department. She was casual and helpful, but we definitely didn't consider celebrating--I don't think I would have enjoyed that.

When the blood started flowing, the cramps came into full swing, and the realization settled on me that this would go on more or less every month for years, you can imagine my joy! But I contented myself with visualizing a million horrific scenarios in which my first period *could* have occurred. I'm an imaginative gal.

Posts: 87 | From: bay area & new england | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmbulaAl
Neophyte
Member # 3348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmbulaAl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I, too, hid my period from my mother for about three months. I was in sixth grade and felt like I could handle it myself. I was the first of my friends to get it and I didn't tell any of them either. Finally, in November, I wrote a note to my Mom that basically said, "Mom, I had my (gigantic circle)." I couldn't even write out the word 'period'!! She told me that it was a Christmas gift. Anyway, my friends found out not to long after that when I was in the restroom at school with one of them and she heard the rustling of my pad wrapper and jokingly asked if I had my period. I had to tell her yes!

At one point, and this is pretty gross, I had to go to a pool party while I was having my period. My Mom made a really big deal about my using tampons and even called the party to see if I was ok. When I took the tampon out, I didn't know what to do with it, so I wrapped it in toilet paper just as I would a pad and put it in the garbage. Well, the rest of the people at the party found out about that and they all took a field trip to the bathroom to look at it!

I guess I wasn't really open with anyone about my period because when I was younger I was never really open with anyone about anything. Also, my mother was (and still is) incredibly old-fashioned about anything sexual. She only gave me the "birds and the bees" speech because my aunt was pregnant, even though by that time I was nine and knew how those things worked. Now I have problem being open about these sort of things with other people, but I am still uncomfortable around my Mom.

Posts: 5 | From: DC | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cuddleslut
Activist
Member # 3349

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cuddleslut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got mine in 7th grade. One day after school I came home and was wondering why I felt so lousy, and why my stomach hurt so much, and I went to the bathroom and naturally figured it out. I was supposed to go to tennis practice that day, but because I felt so horrible I told my mom what had happened and I got to miss practice. I thought all would be fine until I was up all night with horrible cramps, throwing up in the bathroom. The next day was halloween, and I had to miss everything at school because I couldn't get out of bed.
I hate getting my period. I hate everything about it. If I don't take advil or midol or whatever in time, I get horrible cramps. And half the time when I do take it, it still doesn't work. I had been getting my period for 6 months until I stopped puking every month. Now, I've had it for almost 2 years, but it's still really irregular and horrible and I never know when it's coming, but my mom won't let me go on birth control pills (which are supposed to regulate it, right?) because she thinks I'll use it to my advantage to have sex. Great.

------------------
you wanna be just like me, i wish i could be myself
you wanna be just like me,
i can't think of no one else...
-Reel Big Fish

Posts: 120 | From: california...well, at least it sounds cool. | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diva2000
Neophyte
Member # 3353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Diva2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had my first period when I was 9 exactly 1 month before my 10th B-Day. I just woke up one morning in the summer and discovered that there was blood all over the inside of my panties. I knew what it was, but I was totally embarassed by the whole thing and basically I was in shock because I thought I was way to young to get it. Finnally later that morning I got the courage to actually tell my mom. We didn't do anything special except my mom gave me the WHOLE birds n bees talk.

The bad news was that I was on a swim team and I had a BIG meet that night. I couldn't miss it for ANYTHING, not even my period. So my mom had to run out and get tampons. I thought they were totally disgusting, but I didn't have a choice. Anyways I got first place in 2 of my races, so I did good inspite of everything.

PS my mom took my out for dinner after the meet to celebrate my victory and of course the fact that I had become a woman.

Posts: 37 | From: Chicago,Il,USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ruth
Neophyte
Member # 3381

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ruth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had seen the stupid "Your period" video at school the year before --which, given the fact that I began menstruating only months later, makes me believe that 4th grade is entirely too late to start sexual education. My school nurse (a complete psycho) explained the facts in such a haphazard and sugar-coated fashion that I really didn't get any of it. Thankfully, that afternoon after the video my mom explained menstruation to me in a totally non-sugar coated way. We had talked about menstruation some before that day, but that was the first time I ever really understood what was going on down there.

Anyway, I got my period when I was a little over 10 years old -- a few months after I had the menstruation talk with my mom. I was at a skating party in August, and really had to go to the bathroom bad. Mom took me home, and when I sat down on the toilet I noticed a lot of blood on my underwear. I called for Mom, and she brought me fresh underwear and taught me how to put on pads.

I cried a little bit after that -- I don't know why, I guess it was just a little emotional for me, being that young and starting to menstruate already. I had been told by my school nurse -- paragon of intelligence that she was *grin* -- that I probably wouldn't get my period until I was 13.

But all in all, I was pretty glad with how my first period turned out. My mom was awesome to me and didn't give me some "now you're a woman, so grow up" speech like some other parents I know. She did warn me about cramps and PMS though -- boy, was she right!

But don't think I hate my period -- I used to, but now I've sort of grown to accept it as a part of me. It's one of the few *completely* feminine things about me, which can be kind of secret and exciting once you think about it.

Take care,

--Ruth

Posts: 14 | From: Sikeston, MO | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star * Gal
Neophyte
Member # 3379

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star * Gal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, Wow, this is my first post, pretty special, huh? Well, anyway, back to the board.
Man, my first period, I remember it so clearly, I was 11 years old. It was the summer of 1997 (which is January, by the way), and that year (yeah, i know it's weird, but we start school for the year in February), I was starting a new school. Anyways, from what I remember, I got "it" on a Thursday and used toilet paper that whole day. I kept it a secret from my mum, and the next day, on friday, she kinda figured it out for herself. On that previous night, she'd come downstairs, and asked, who's using all the toilet paper, and I said, not me, innocently. So the next day, I was nearly gonna tell her, but i kept starting to cry. And then finally, thank god, she came in to my room and said, do you need some of these, holding up pads, and i was like, yeah. It was kinda embarrassing for me, because, she's my step mum. Later that day, she went out and bought some pads and tampons for me. But what was really bad, was that that day I was going away with one of my friends. My mum and her mum are really good friends, so my mum rang up my mum to tell her that I had started my period, god knows why, and she told my mum where she kept her pads at her place, where i was going. It was so embarrassing. So yeah, before this whole ordeal, my mum had called me into the bathroom and told me that I'd soon be getting my period, and I was like, cool, it didn't really mean much to me at that point in time.
So there we go, another funny thread for everyone to laugh at.

Posts: 11 | From: Somewhere not in America | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purple Lemonade
Activist
Member # 2674

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Purple Lemonade     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I got my period I was at Summer Camp.
Before I left my mom told me I should take some pads with me. I was like "Chill, mom...I'm not gonna get my period during camp."
Well, I was wrong.
When we went swimming I went to the toilets to get changed and then I saw some *brown stuff in my undies*. I had had that *brown stuff in my undies* for a couple of months, but it never got that heavy before and I couldn't be bothered asking my mom what it was. So I just didn't worry about it.
Then the next day I spotted blood. When we were in our cabins, I asked my friend if she had any pads. She opened up her bag and showed me her supply. To be honest, I think there were at least 5 tons in there.
Anyway, when I got home I told my mom, and she gave me a small lecture on how mom's are always right. My brother also found out and told my boyfriend.....

There's a tampon tv ad that has this huge tampon on it and the tampon says "Hello gorgeous, haven't seen you since last month....yes I'm a tampon!!!"
It always seems to come on everytime I get my period. Funny that.

Posts: 54 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keoki_14
Activist
Member # 1312

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keoki_14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw the menstral fluid, I told my Mom. She gave me a pad. She said congrats. I went to play at a basketball game. End of story.

------------------
"You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older... You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older
And now you're older still..." -Older by TMBG

"There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well And that's be you, be what you're like, be like yourself, and so I'm having a wonderful time..." Whistling in the Dark by TMBG

"Everyone looks naked when you know the world's address.."
The World's Address by TMBG

Posts: 620 | From: Columbia, MD, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bessela
Neophyte
Member # 3423

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bessela     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally relate to this story. When I got my period it was a very awkward moment for my mother. She calls bras supportive underwear, so you can imagine. To this day (and I'm in my early 20s) I buy my own supplies because she always gets so embarrassed if I so much as say I need more tampons. You can only imagine what "the" talk was like. (all my sex ed was from a book and my friends, fun stuff)
In my family, we pretend that women do not have periods, gynegological concerns, sex, wear underwear, shave their legs etc. Certain body parts simply do not exist or are sometimes euphemistically referred to. Babies magically appear outside of their mothers' bodies. Sometimes I think my mother is a refugee from the Victorian era. Luckily I learn quick and have no problem discussing concerns with friends.
quote:
Originally posted by momma cat:
Me and all my friends were really looking forward to being a 'real' teenager, and I some how expected that once I finally got it I would be so happy and proud and self-assured and never have a really bad day because "I may have gotten a bad grade on that test and forgotten my lunch, but I'm sexually mature so it's still a great day!" But the thrill only lasted a couple of hours.

In my family we basically pretended that anything to do with maturing, sexuality, religion...pretty much anything controversial pretty much didn't exist, so I felt like mom might get mad at me for being 'uppity' or something so I never told her. I learned to make toilet paper work for me, but it wouldn't stay in place when I had to move a lot so I kept blood-stained underwear to wear during my period so I wasn't constantly ruining other pairs. Had to hand-wash them myself when no one was home.

Now I'm 19 and we still haven't ever acknowledged that I get my period or use deodorant. I went to such lengths as shaving my legs with a pocket knife and a palm-full of mom's hand lotion. It actually works okay and pocket knives stay sharper so much longer than razors, but as soon as I turned 16 I offered to do the grocery shopping so I could purchase real products for myself. You can STILL cut the tension in the air with a knife when a tampon commercial come on, and I'm 19.

Posts: 2 | From: St. Marys, ON | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
**hippi_chik**
Neophyte
Member # 3404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for **hippi_chik**     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my first period came only a couple of monthes ago... it was kow big deal i had just got back from a friends and went to the batroom whoops there it was! anyway the power was out and my mom was out side getting the generator and i said "on top of everything else i just got my period" she was all happy and **my little baby's growing up** anyways she got some pads (i already knew how to use them) and that was pretty much it!

**hippi_chick**

------------------
Words of wisdom from our all-knowing, all-seeing, wonderful,(coff coff) parents:
"If you dont stop making faces you'll get stuck that way...and even if you don't you'll have permanent worry lines by the time your'e thirty!"

Posts: 31 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chicka_chochi
Neophyte
Member # 3515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for chicka_chochi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The fire time I got my period,...... Ah, memories.

I was always very open with my mom. We talked about EVERYTHING. She was practically my best friend:-) She knew about my first crush, my worries about periods, etc....... it was in 1996, probably in july or august. This is probably the worst, most embarassing thing written on this page (I read them all:-). It was a really hot day, and I was swimming in my pool with some friends. thats rite, SWIMMING. the dreaded word:-S one of my best friends, lydia(still my best friend to this day:-), screamed when she noticed a cloud of "red stuff" in the pool. We all jumped out, and since the water had washed all the blood away, none of us knew who had had their period. I didnt know it until the blood trickled down my leg,.... geez, i ran like hell! into the house and i locked myself in the bathroom until all my friands were gone! Aw, i was 10 then. I remember crying and my mom knocked on the door and we both cryed and then she showed me how to use the pad and all:-) i was ok after that, i guess,...... except for an incident in math class,...... but dats a whole other story:-)

Posts: 3 | From: none | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gurlfrend
Neophyte
Member # 3599

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gurlfrend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first period when I was 13. I was just going to the bathroom when I saw a red stain in my underwear. I knew about periods, so I wasn't really shocked. I just told my mom and she got really happy. She gave me the BIGGEST hugg she had ever gave me. And after that she gave me some pads. We celebrated that night and we went out with my family. It was an incredible experience. I haven't had any trouble with my periods. that's my story. bye
Posts: 8 | From: canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nefertiti
Neophyte
Member # 3050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nefertiti     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got my first period when I was 11 (I think). What happened was I was home alone and in the bathroom, saw the stain on my underwear and made this "uuuuuuuugh..." sound. So then I called my friend for girl support... she'd already had hers and told me what to do and everything. My mom found out by seeing a used pad in the garbage can, and she hugged me to death and kept asking dumb questions. (and she wonders why I didn't tell her right away... heh.)

I'm slightly less shy about things like that now, thank goodness.

------------------
I love deadlines. I especially like the whoosing sound they make as they fly by.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't really a big deal. I noticed I had been feeling a little depressed and irritable a few days before. On that day, I was at school...I just went to the bathroom-and freaked out. I was shaking, I was so nervous...I told my friends, but that was it. No party or anything special. I just went home and did my homework.

------------------
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sadly, i don't remember my first period too much. i don't remember for sure how old i was... either 10 or 11. anyhow, i just remember that i was in the bathroom on a sunday morning, and i noticed a very very tiny amount of brown spotted over my underwear.. i tried to use a piece of toilet paper for a while, but i told my mom in the car that afternoon.

i remember that she yelled at me (how nice) and said that we had to drive to the store to get some pads, because you "can't just bleed through your clothes, dammit!"

supportive family i have.

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lostcat
Activist
Member # 3295

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lostcat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
one thing i forgot!

before i actually got my period, i used to steal my sisters' and mother's pads, and wear them around the house, pretending that i had my period.

it's funny how when you actually get it, it doesn't seem so glamorous anymore...

------------------
"i need to wash myself again to hide all the dirt and pain, 'cos i'd be scared that there's nothing underneath"- radiohead

Posts: 73 | From: chicago, il, usa | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Only In Dreams
Activist
Member # 3661

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Only In Dreams     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Only In Dreams:
It wasn't really a big deal. I noticed I had been feeling a little depressed and irritable a few days before. On that day, I was at school...I just went to the bathroom-and freaked out. I was shaking, I was so nervous...I told my friends, but that was it. No party or anything special. I just went home and did my homework.

Stupid me! I Forgot to put my age-I was 12.

------------------
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, please save me, Superman!"

Posts: 268 | From: Somewhere | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLover
Neophyte
Member # 3694

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JLover     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would have been mortified if i had any sort of "period party". i don't talk about that sort of stuff with my mom. i didn't even tell her when i got my period. i just found a pad somewhere and got on with life.and then a year later i switched to tampons and no one is any wiser. lol..
Posts: 12 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
caty
Neophyte
Member # 2531

Icon 1 posted      Profile for caty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine... was a horror story of sorts, I guess. I had just turned 11. My mom was very late giving me the sex talk... I'd only leared that periods existed a few months before.

On to the story:

My parents were away for the weekend, and I had to live with my aunt and uncle and (older male) cousin. And I had to sleep in my cousin's room!

My aunt wasn't around at all because she is a nurse and was constantly on call and at the hospital. So I'm all alone with my uncle and my cousin, and guess what I got...

Lets just say that all the toilet paper mysteriously disapeared very fast. I laugh about it now. Sometime I'll have to tell my cousin about that... he'd probably be scared though, LOL.

Posts: 8 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter_gurl15
Neophyte
Member # 3713

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter_gurl15     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember my first period came around November 1997, I was about 11 and a half.
my mother had given me 'the talk' and I had read the book 'whats happening to me'
I remember I was at school and one day I went to the toilet and noticed my pants were stained. I didn't think any thing of it, and went back to class. Though the next day I went to the toilet and noticed that the same thing had happened as the day before.
I then thought it may have been my period but for some unknown reason I didn't do anything about. lol...
Whether or not I knew it was my period, or I just didn't want to accept I don't know.
I then got my second period about 3 months later in Feburary of 1998. I remember it was my first day of High School :P
That time I deffinately knew it was my period but I didn't tell my mum. A few days later I knew I needed something to stop the bleeding so I was like "Mum, can you come here..." then I showed her my underwear. She gave me a big hug and went and got me some pads. Till this day I dont talk much about my period to my mum I just tell her wen I need some pads and thats it!

Posts: 3 | From: The Beach! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
Since someone else just asked in ICQ, I'll go ahead and share my sordid tale.

It starts like this:

[b]Heather Life Lesson #465: When you want to get your first period, wear white jeans and finally get to talk to the boy at school you have an incredible crush on.

[/B]

This is, without a doubt, the funniest period story I have ever heard. ::walks off laughing:: I love it! I suppose Moth's Addendum to Heather's Life Lesson #465 is this: your period WILL leak through your tampon on the day you wear the light pants. No exceptions. Honestly, I rarely leak, but when I do it's ALWAYS when I'm wearing the khakis . . . yea . . .

------------------
Signed, Moth.

"Nothing in Life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moth
Activist
Member # 2606

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moth     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, I had so much fun reading all these stories. Thank you! Here's mine (not terribly exciting):

I was another of those "brown stuff in undies for days, thought she had diarrhea" girls. When I finally figured it out, I told me mom, and she told me where to find the pads. That was that. I didn't get cramps that first time, but since I have had nasty ones. I wonder why.

------------------
Signed, Moth.

"Nothing in Life is to be feared. It is only to be understood." -Marie Curie

Posts: 72 | From: NY, USA | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sacred_cat
Activist
Member # 8825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sacred_cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was 11 yrs old and it was August. I slept over my best friend's house after we'd gone with her family to the New York State Fair. In the morning, when I was going to take my shower, I noticed some blood on my underwear. I was like 'Oh no!!!' I cried all through my shower. I was too embarassed to tell my friend and her mom, so I just wore toilet paper and 2 pairs of underwear that whole day. When my mom came to pick me up at the end of the day, I told her and cried all the way home. She was happy for me, and I begged her not to tell my father, though I think she did anyway. I was happy that I didn't get cramps my first 2 months, but after that I got horrible ones and whenever I'm on my period now I take Motrin every 6 hours. I didn't tell my best friend about getting my period until she got hers last year the morning after we came back from Darien Lake. We thought it was funny that we both got our first period the morning after going on a trip somewhere, and we both agree that I was too paranoid thinking that I couldn't tell her when I got my first period at her house.
Posts: 42 | From: USA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to share, I guess.

I think I got mine the summer before 8th grade. I was in the bathroom at home and noticed blood in my panties. "Oh crap...", I thought, and I used a pad in the closet. Some time later, I also grabbed some tampons from my sister's room (my mom does not used tampons)

So later that day, I was reading in my bed, when I hear this plastic-y rustling noise from the bathroom. Was my mom really looking through the garbage? Yes, she was. She came into my room and promptly told me that it wasn't appropriate for me to use tampons at my age. I knew that this was nonsense, but my mother is not the type that could be persuaded. And later at the dinner table, my mom said (while my dad was there) "Do any of your friends use tampons!??! HUH!?!" and I was embarassed.

Sigh. Not too exciting of a story. Because of that bad experience, I always buy my own menstrual supplies and such. I wish that my mom could have just said "oh" and let it be or something.

But hey, because of ST, if I have a daughter, I'll be able to try to acknowledge her first period in a fun way.

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ashy
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 4764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ashy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Time to share, I guess.

I think I got mine the summer before 8th grade. I was in the bathroom at home and noticed blood in my panties. "Oh crap...", I thought, and I used a pad in the closet. Some time later, I also grabbed some tampons from my sister's room (my mom does not used tampons)

So later that day, I was reading in my bed, when I hear this plastic-y rustling noise from the bathroom. Was my mom really looking through the garbage? Yes, she was. She came into my room and promptly told me that it wasn't appropriate for me to use tampons at my age. I knew that this was nonsense, but my mother is not the type that could be persuaded. And later at the dinner table, my mom said (while my dad was there) "Do any of your friends use tampons!??! HUH!?!" and I was embarassed.

Sigh. Not too exciting of a story. Because of that bad experience, I always buy my own menstrual supplies and such. I wish that my mom could have just said "oh" and let it be or something.

But hey, because of ST, if I have a daughter, I'll be able to try to acknowledge her first period in a fun way.

------------------
Kindness and honesty can be expected only from the strong.
Anonymous

Posts: 1784 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.