Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pregnancy/STD fears

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy/STD fears
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright, so you're becoming sexually active. You've read the site, you're emotionally and physically ready. You've got the condoms and everything else you could possibly need, and you've discussed it fully with your partner. You've done everything you can possibly do to try to prevent pregnancy and STD/STI transmission.

Do you still have that little twinge of fear that you somehow might have mysteriously gotten pregnant or caught something?

I guess this is something that's just occured to me because I've just recently become sexually active (oh my, I said it again...that seems so strange to say). And we were careful (we also didn't have intercourse), but still I had those moments where I found myself mentally reviewing every action to try to reassure myself that there was no possible way anything could have gotten close to me. Was the condom all the way on? Did he wash his hands? Did I wash my hands?

Does anybody else find themselves thinking these things too? And if so, how have you dealt with it?

~KittenGoddess

------------------
the kittenblog

"What is the odds so long as the fire of soul is kindled..."
~Charles Dickens

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kitten, I know how you feel. I can be on the Pill, taking it every day at the same time down to the minute, with a condom and rubber gloves and a wetsuit and when that time of the month comes around I'm still biting my fingernails.

in my case, at least, I know it's not STDs. We're clean and monogamous and long-term and everything is okay. but pregnancy - I don't even want to think about it. and sometimes I get so stressed that I make my period late.

but recently, what I do is go over all the facts in my mind: I haven't missed a pill; or, the condom didn't break; or, I wouldn't be ovulating now anyway; or, he wasn't inside me and I washed my hands and I changed my gloves; or whatever. it seems to calm me down.

and then I think about exactly what I would do if I were late, plan out everything to the detail (where is that money going to come from, etc.), and my back-up is that I'm supposed to get my period on Friday, so if I don't get it by Monday, my butt is in Walgreens buying a pregnancy test.

it's the only way I can deal with it; and if ever I can't, I will stop having sex.

------------------
~lemming, Scarleteen Advocate

want to know the inner lemming? read her diary at http://innerlemming.diaryland.com/.
"Is love like the sweet, bitter taste of marmalade on burnt toast?"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
unhappykoger
Activist
Member # 1514

Icon 1 posted      Profile for unhappykoger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i have an iud and i still took a pregnancy test yesterday. i have a fear of becoming pregnant again. it gets to me sometimes. my live in friend just found out yesterday taht she is pregnant, we took the tests at the same time. but i am ok. and i hope i dont get pregnant anytime in the near future.
Posts: 365 | From: dayton,ohio,u.s.a. | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.