Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » In the "real world"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In the "real world"
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been thinking. (Danger, Will Robinson!)

I see some people, in my life and here, talking about the "real world" where people are having sex, and there, you know, people have sex all the time, in public places, and they don't get caught, and consequences don't happen or they happen to other people, and safer sex is so boring and icky and no one needs to practice it. And everyone always orgasms in this "real world" and people don't need to talk to their partners about sex cause they just know what's good for them.

And so if you come from that real world here into Scarleteen, where we answer posts with "take care of your health, go to the doctor, practice safer sex, get STD screenings, use two methods of birth control, communicate with your partner, not everyone comes every single time they have sex,etc." I'm thinking that it must be quite a shock.

No one *really* takes care of themselves that much, do they? There must be some magic technique we can give someone to *make* someone come, right? Isn't our advice out of date, or too grown up and staid, or not in tune with the "real world"?

Or is it that in this "real world" STDs and pregnancies do happen, that people get involved in sexual situations that make them uncomfortable at best or living with long term health consequences at the worst, but it's easier to pretend it won't happen to *me* than to do something about it?

So what is the "real world?" And how should we give and receive advice in it? And where do you fit into it, and how do you make a place in it for your sexual self?

Just some food for thought.

Erin

------------------
PHILOSOPHY: Basically, this involves sitting in a room and deciding there
is no such thing as reality and then going to lunch. -- Dave Barry

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mary
Activist
Member # 2769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mary     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, unfortunately I think a lot of people get their information from television which to a lot of people IS the "real world". Yes, tv shows real people having sex and yes, tv shows real people orgasming EVERY TIME and NEVER getting pregnant (unless it's a soap opera and someone ALWAYS gets pregnant). But those real people aren't in real situations. In the "really truly real world" people can and do get pregnant, get STDs, AIDs, and other diseases.

So listen to your mother and Scarleteen! In the "really truly real world", bad things can happen... So be safe! Now! Do it! LOL.

And by the way, ErinK, great topic!

So what does everyone else think about the real world? What is it and where are you in relation to it?

------------------
Mary, Mary, quite contrary, how does your garden grow?

"Well, I use fertilizer and a new product I got at The Home Depot."

[This message has been edited by Mary (edited 05-24-2001).]

Posts: 500 | From: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.