Donate Now
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » no more popping pills - use a patch instead!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: no more popping pills - use a patch instead!
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like we might soon have a new method of hormonal birth control that would involve a patch, worn anywhere on the body but on the breast, that needs to be changed weekly (3 weeks of use, one week without, to induce withrawal bleed/menstruation) instead of pills.

Would you personally prefer a patch to popping pills as your back-up method of choice (next to STD-protecting condoms. of course)?

------------------
"We must become the change we want to see."
Mahatma Gandhi

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm guessing this patch is relatively new. So they don't know of long term side effects really ... So i would be really really leery about it.

My doctor has been trying to talk me into going on the BC shot b/c the pill doesn't like me, but i just can't seem to do it. I'm used to take a pill a day and not worrying about it. I'm a scardy cat when it comes to trying new things ...

I would have to think long and hard about it ... and then think some more. But i would probably have to say no. I'll stick to pills and condoms, thx

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i like my pills. patches and bandages left on for more than a day or two irritate my skin. the adhesive makes the skin break out in hives.

------------------
The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the universe is constantly moving to a state of greater entropy s, therefore, delta s is always greater than zero.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Oh Oh. I just read this and I just knew that someone would have put this up before I came on.

I would really love to give it a try when it comes out onto the market because I'm really bad at remembering to take my pill so no harm trying.

And if it works, this will definitely be my protection of choice. We'll wait and see.

------------------
Want More Lin?

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i think id stick to the pill....its not seeable, ya know?

not that i have a problem telling ppl im on birthcontrol (its actually for medical reasons) but i dont like having things like that on me.

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, you're right, it would be visible... that's really cool. I wonder what they look like? If they're not just like, flesh colored or something, I would totally wear a fake one as a safe-sex-positive symbol!
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BruinDan
Activist
Member # 3072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BruinDan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eclipse, I just saw a picture of it (I am trying to find the site...) and it looked like a little pink band-aid, about the size of a US Quarter, only square with rounded edges. But I'll bet you could draw something on it, customize it etc. Plus if there is enough interest, I'll bet the manufacturer will print some with little pictures on them as a cool litle symbol

I do have a silly question though...when I wear Band-Aids in the shower, they tend to fall off...how will these patches stay fixed to the skin for the week?

--Danny

------------------
"Unit 11A to Station, do we know what's behind Door Number One?"

BruinDan's Blog!

ICQ# 3953848

Posts: 2727 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"In addition, nearly 5 percent of the patches had to be replaced because they became wholly or partially detached."

I'd say they are using some special adhesive....hm. Wonder whether you'd get bad skin irritation from it.

So here's a piccie:

And Eclipse, we could even have Scarleteen advertisement on the patch! Safer Sex Slogans! Ooooh, what a fab idea.

[This message has been edited by Alaska (edited 05-10-2001).]

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the article I read said that one side effect would be the skin's reaction to the adhesive. But I've got skin as thick and insensitive as an elephant's hide.

It looks fabulous. Am really looking forward to it. Whee!

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eclipse
Activist
Member # 2254

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eclipse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hehe, I'm all for BC patches with scarleteen logos on them. Safe, sound, & sexy. They'd go well with Scarleteen condoms...! Forget the t-shirts, Miz. S., you know what we REALLY want.
Posts: 257 | From: Sarasota, FL | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
morganlh85
Activist
Member # 785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for morganlh85     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't use it. All this talk about it causing irritation at the application area, it falling off...I mean, what if it falls off and I don't know it? I could get pregnant! I'll stick with my shot
Posts: 304 | From: Pittsburgh PA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
exit seraphim
Activist
Member # 2566

Icon 1 posted      Profile for exit seraphim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i kno ur all saying this would be a good safer sex symbol...but correct me if i'm wrong...you still could get STDs/STIs from just using the patch not combined with anything else, correct?

-justine

Posts: 142 | From: H*Ton, NY | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.