Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Stupid, stupid, stupid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid, stupid, stupid
rsmxvi
Neophyte
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsmxvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a few questions, all pretty directly applicable to a situation I'm in.

First, what are the chances of getting pregnant while having sex during a period? No condoms, birth control (yes, I know, the really stupid way). Immediately afterward (the next day or so) her period started being irregular, stopped, then started again for a very short time. What are the realistic chances of pregnancy?

Second, would stopping birth control for a month (she was switching from the multihormone kind to the minipill, which is what got us where we are now) cause symptoms that might look like pregnancy, ie the weird period.

Third, hopefully a piece of information I won't have to know, but is there some kind of time period after which pill-type morning after/abortion pill would have to fall to the wayside of an actual procedure?

Thanks.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please check out our pregnancy risk assesment charts -- we made'em for you, not us -- we knew the answer already, toots: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/preg_risk.html

Switching birth control can do lotys of things. I suggest she contact her clinician.

Emergency contraception ONLY works within 72 hours of the sexual incident. What it does is PREVENT pregnancy from occurring, not terminate an existing pregnancy. After that 72 hour period when it can be taken, the only other options available are abortion, adoption or parenthood.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rsmxvi
Neophyte
Member # 79

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rsmxvi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't see anything about periods on there... It can't possibly be 100% the same if she's on her period, what does that mean. I've heard that typically when she's having her period it's practically birth control as far as probability goes. Which is it?

Thanks again (slightly distressed).

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It says plenty about your situation RIGHT there, and having a period doesn't make any difference when it comes to basic levels of risk, and here is why: having your period is NOT birth control or anything close to it.

Semen live for up to SEVEN days. That being the case, it's entirely possible for them to live right through a period and stick around for ovulation, which is when fertilization heppens. You may also want to read our article on how human reproduction works: http://www.scarleteen.com/pink/pages/pregnancy.html

Here is the pertinent portion of that risk assesment article I first sent you to, on the section for intercourse:

Did you have unprotected penis-in-vagina intercourse (no condom, no other birth control of any kind), including ejaculation into or onto the vagina or vaginal area?

If you had unprotected vaginal intercourse including ejaculation into the vaginal or on the vaginal area, then you have a HIGH to VERY HIGH risk of pregnancy. See your health care provider as soon as possible for a pregnancy test/Morning After Pill and an STD screening.

Please take some time to get some basic information here on being sexually active, on fertility,. on STDs, on female anatomy...the whole nine yeards. It's here for you, and being educated is the best protection there is, if you use it to make wise choices.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 68232 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
surferChicka
Activist
Member # 2232

Icon 1 posted      Profile for surferChicka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i cant say toO much here...but i hope everything works out for you two.

------------------
peace, love, & seXwax!

Posts: 117 | From: Honolulu, HI | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay. Having sex while your gf was having her period is NOT birth control. So yes, she still could get pregnant.

AS Miz S said, sperm can live up to 7 days. That's longer than my entire period already. I suggest you guys invest in some condoms and a tube of lube.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.