Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Cold sores & Canker sores

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cold sores & Canker sores
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the difference between a canker sore and a cold sore. Does Oral Herpes have anything to do with these??

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well ... they're almost the same, both are connected to the mouth somehow

Canker sores are generally inside your mouth and aren't open. I have braces, so i get these all the time from metal poking at me and stuff. Cold sores are generally outside of your mouth and break open eventually. Cold sores can be spread and canker sores can't (b/c cold sores are open and canker sores aren't) ... For both if you rinse w/ salt and water a few times a day for a few days, it'll help get rid of them. Hmm i think that's about it

~ Smurfy

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum2/HTML/000307.html

Miz S touches the subjuct of oral herpes a little bit in that topic.

------------------
**Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted**

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AshleyInABottle
Activist
Member # 1029

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AshleyInABottle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, canker sores are not contagious, and cold sores are. Canker sores are not caused by a virus, while cold sores are. Also, canker sores usually occur on the movable parts of the inside of your mouth, and cold sores occur on the outside of your mouth (**but it is possible for them to occur on the inside..but more commonly on the immovable parts**). I've done so much research on this stuff cuz I suffer from canker sores very often, so I hope I've helped!
Posts: 156 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any kind of mouth ulcer may or may not be infectious or contagious. The thing to understand is that generally, they are a symptom of something else, unless they are what is called an aphthous ulcers, or...

...canker sores. And those are highly prevalent in teens and are usually benign and their cause unknown.

However, if you continue to get ANY sort of mouth ulcer again and again, you need to have some tests done. Mouth ulcers can be benign, but they can also be a symptom of herpes simplex, a drug allergy, a mouth cancer, or the recently discovered hairy leukoplakia, which is a condtion that occurs due to HIV.

As well, ANY sort of open sore in or on the mouth makes you and your partner more susceptible to STD/STI transmission, regardless of what the sore is, because it offers an open passageway. Therefore, it is doubly important if you have a sore in or around your mouth to practice safer sex for oral sex.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HiroBarton
Neophyte
Member # 1924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for HiroBarton     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
cold sores(AKA Fever blisters) is caused by the herpes symplex 1 virus which if very common. like 80% of the population carries the symplex 1 virus while only 10% of that break out with blisters(I happen to be on of the unlucky but only happens after i get the flu or a very bad cold).

Canker sores on the other hand, doctors dont really know the cause, it's not believd to be a virus because it's not congtatgeous I've head women get them more than men.
http://my.webmd.com/content/asset/adam_disease_canker_sores Info on canker sores

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/3176.1252

info on cold sores

Posts: 16 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really, 80% is the highest end of most estimates. Putting different stats together, it comes out to be closer to 60%.

Canker sores aren't a medical mystery, I think you're misunderstanding a bit.

What they are is usually a SYMPTOM of something else (like dietary or nutrition issues, hormone shifts, allergies, herpes...), or a mouth injury. It isn't that doctors don't know what they are (except in some cases) or where they come from, but that it differs from sore to sore and person to person.

BOTH kinds of sores CAN be herpes, and ANY sore on the mouth is a wide-open pathway to infection from other viruses or diseases (including STDs).

Never try and self-diagnose sores: only a doctor can do that, and if you have a mouth sore, it's very important -- herpes or no herspes -- to practice safer sex precautions and avoid genital contact with the sore.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

"If you're a bird, be an early early bird --
But if you're a worm, sleep late." - Shel Silverstein

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.