Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.
  New Poll  
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Pill and pregnancy tests

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill and pregnancy tests
Rizzo
Activist
Member # 802

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rizzo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've wondered... what if you're on the pill, and you suspect you're pregnant. Will the pregnancy test results be accurate? I know the pill essentially fools the body into thinking it's pregnant, but will the test be fooled too?
Posts: 582 | From: Montreal, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fantabulous_femme
Neophyte
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted      Profile for fantabulous_femme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! I was wondering the same thing. Also, if you are on the pill, and you get pregnant, will the pill affect the pregnancy or anything like that? Just wondering...

------------------

Posts: 4 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, the test should be accurate. most preggy tests check for a hormone called human chorionic gonadotrophin

it's secreted by the implanted cell mass. what's in your pills is something else, it's probably estradiol or a mix of estradiol and progesterone.

------------------
Maurice! Bring in the albinos! muwahahahahaha!!!

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glitter695
Activist
Member # 1515

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glitter695     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes the pregnancy test will be accurate, it has nothing to do with the pill, because your testing your urine. The best way to get a 100% accuracy is to get a blood test done.

------------------
*~*~*~I LOVE YOU BOB FOREVER AND ALWAYS*~*~*~
*~*~12/3/99*~*~*
"The first time I saw you, I knew that I would fall for you, & now that were together, our love will last forever!!" -By: The person I LOVE MORE THAN ANYTHING IN THIS WORLD!!

Posts: 1978 | From: NY:) | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As gumdrop and glitter said, the pill will not affect the accuracy of a test.

The pill can have adverse effects upon a fetus, so it is important that if you suspect you are pregnant, you get a test RIGHT away. Ideally, it is also for this reason that if you ever miss a pill, you should use a backup birth control method for the rest of that cycle.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is exaclty what i was looking for, thanks to search i found it.

Anyway I'm on ortho-tri cyclen lo. I was also wondering if you could still get your period if youre on b/c and pregnant.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yay for using the search function !! Thank you !!

As for your other question ... When you're taking hormonal birth control, you don't really get a real period. It's called a 'withdrawal bleed' and that's due to a drop in hormones when you're taking your placebo pills (or not taking any pills, in a 21 day pack).

You also can't have a period if you're pregnant. Some women have some minor spotting, but this isn't really 'normal' and you should defineatly seek medical attention if you're pregnant and experiencing any degree of vaginal bleeding.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Olive
Activist
Member # 8964

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Olive     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you. I was just wondering but I dont have to wonder anymore. So its not a period because you dont ovalate, right?

I was just also wondering because i gained 10 pounds within like 2 months, I guess my metabolism is slowing down thats all.

Posts: 338 | From: Livermore, CA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Olive:
thank you. I was just wondering but I dont have to wonder anymore. So its not a period because you dont ovalate, right?

I was just also wondering because i gained 10 pounds within like 2 months, I guess my metabolism is slowing down thats all.

if you're referring to the bleeding Smurf described, that's not a period because your uterus doesn't totally slough off -- it's the embryo digging a nice place for itself in the uterus, which breaks a few cappilaries here and there. You bleeding during the placebo week of your birth control, and I *do* consider that a period because your uterus does slough off, though you can debate the semantics if you really want to. and no, you don't ovulate on the Pill.

------------------
LA County STD Hotline 1.800.758.0880
Toll free STD and clinic information for Los Angeles County residents.
Love Scarleteen? By donating just $1, you can help keep us around.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pyro_angel
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 13245

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pyro_angel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to a PP-type clinic tomorrow, and am curious.. if the test says i'm not pregnant, what are the chances its wrong?
thanks

------------------
Advertising on Police cars...police cars...

Posts: 593 | From: Kamloops, BC, Canada | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A false negative is much more common than a false positive, and false positives are more common with at home pregnancy tests than with ones done in a clinic by a professional.

If the test says you are pregnant, than you are, and that's really about the surest thing you can go by if it turns out that way.

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

New Poll   Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.