Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sex Basics and Sexual Health » Safe?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Safe?
mcb3
Activist
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcb3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's been awhile since I've been able to post here lately..So, *hi* to everyone

Well, I've got this little problem I'm concerned about. Awhile back I wrote a post about how my boyfriend and I mutually agreed to hold off on sex. None of that's changed, but I'm getting prepared for later on.

I've been taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 2 months to relieve cramps and regulate my period. I am very precise on taking the pills at the same time everyday, and I haven't missed any. Now, for some reason, I've been thinking about later on when my boyfriend and I decide to have sex, that the pill and the condom won't be enough. Sound strange? I'm just being very cautious for obvious reasons.

I heard that since you are growing when you're a teenager and hormone levels are constantly changing, the pill won't be as effective. I'm assuming there's truth in this, but anyone want to clear that up for me?

I was considering getting the Depo-Provera shot instead of taking the pills, but I wanted to see if anyone here is taking it and they could let me know their experiences with it. And, is it more effective then the pill? From what I read, it's 99.7% effective, whereas the pill has room for error.

My boyfriend and I have been together for over half a year and we love each other a lot and are very considerate of each other. When we do decided to have sex, I want to be prepared, and safe. I was also considering since I don't need an unexpected pregnancy now or anytime soon, to just wait altogether. (Plus, there's risk of STD's when you're with any sexual partner.) I believe I'm physically, mentally, and emotionally ready (partly to Miz Scarlet's little checklist ) but, I don't want to be worried all the time.

So, if you can help me in any way, that would be great

------------------
~Breanna
mick3yschick@aol.com

Posts: 53 | From: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink
Activist
Member # 1071

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's your question?

U seem extremely well prepared. When your u & ur bf do decide to have sex, u already know to use condoms, so u seem almost completely safe.

As for Depo-Provera, it has very, very little margin for errors. I'm not on it, but I believe that you need to get a shot every 3 months, and if you miss one it's no longer effective.

There's also Norplant, which are strips of hormone control that are inserted under the skin and last for up to 5 years. Sorry, I don't have much other information.

U seem prepared and sensible, and whatever choice u make, it will probably be the right one. Good luck.

------------------
u arent worthless if you can make someone laugh
there is a difference between being stupid and being ditzy. i ought to know

Posts: 615 | From: New York | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
deegurl143
Activist
Member # 353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for deegurl143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well i'm glad you want to be safe
i think that depo-provera or norplant are a very good idea if you are really concerned with birth control. birth contrll pills itself are good, but i do know someone who's had 3 kids ALL while she was on birth control pills. you think that maybe she messed up...she took a pill everyday and rarely (if ever) missed one.
the thing is depo-provera and norplant can be kinda high priced...(well where i live it is ;p )
just wanted you to know this...

------------------
~*GoDdEsS oF lOvE aNd BeAuTy*~

^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^
JaMeS & DoReEn 4eVeR
^*^*^*^^*^*^*^*^*^*^*

Posts: 269 | From: California | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aria51
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 653

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aria51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hate to say anything negative about birth control, because it is very important, but I feel I have to share my experience with Depo: http://www.muhealth.org/~babyfaces/000806evan.shtml
That adorable baby was concieved while I was on Depo *AND* my boyfriend and I were using condoms. Keep in mind, this isn't a common thing to happen, but the point is that it CAN. According to my OB/GYN, when a baby is conceived while Depo is in use, the risk for neonatal death, low birth weight, and birth defects is very high. Luckily, my baby was born perfectly healthy and obnoxiously HUGE. Depo does have a higher rate of effectiveness than the pill because there aren't as many chances for you to make an error while using it, so for that reason I think it is a good form of birth control... just be careful!!

Posts: 1287 | From: Missouri | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mcb, it may go without saying, but if everyone took as much time as you did with these issues, the world would be a better place. And Aria, that is the most adorable baby. Gives credence to the whole idea of a "happy" accident.

Basically, combining the pill and a condom is as good as it gets (though personally, I'd opt for a condom and a diaprhagm, but that's me), and there is really NOTHING you can do that is 100% foolproof save just not having intercourse. I know that stinks, but it's just the way it goes. Adding one more thing in there just isn't going to do very much save make the entire experience something akin to a one-man-band.

If a condom is worn from the very get-go and doesn't break, tear or come off through the whole experience, it has been 100% effective. That much you know, If it does, you can always go and get an emergency contraception pill if you're nervous.

Like I've said elsewhere, I'm not real hot on hormonal birth control, especially for young women. I too was on the pill in my teens, and not only managed to conceieve once (condom broke), but being on the pill not only wasn't the catchall to my birth control things, it gave me headaches so bad I'd have to go to the ER to be put down for a few hours, and it made my depression ten times worse. I could go on, but I'm just not a big fan. And Aria's words about Depo are important.

If you're at leave five years into your period, there is a simple answer to this, which has worked for me for years, and is what I do religiously. I use condoms and lubricant only, and then I simply abstain from any intercourse when I am ovulating, thus avoiding the time when I am most likely to get pregnant in terms of an accidental condom break (which happens very, very rarely, but still can happen).

The nice thing about that is that I know my body's rhythms and patterns very intimately, which the pill really kept me from getting to know.

Was that at all helpful? I'm only on my first cup of coffee.

Posts: 67145 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mcb3
Activist
Member # 528

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mcb3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow A big *THANKS* to all you. I definitely received some information I needed.

You see, I have a pretty busy life and now it is extremely hectic and it will probably stay that way for quite some time. So, I figure a pregnancy is not what I need and so if I do decide to have sex, I want to be safe in every aspect. For right now, I'm abstaining from sex and it will most likely benefit me. Thanks to all you who replied!

Aria, that is one beautiful baby you've got there...Best of luck

Psst...anyone else want to hop in here and add what types of birth control they use? Thanks again...

------------------
~Breanna
mick3yschick@aol.com

Posts: 53 | From: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lady Moonlight
Activist
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lady Moonlight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aria51:
That adorable baby

He sure is!!!

(Isn't Babyfaces great? I think it's so cool that hospitals are doing stuff like that, and some other friends of mine have used that exact program at MU hospital!)

Posts: 943 | From: Missouri, USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.