Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » Bi or Lesbian

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bi or Lesbian
jb17
Neophyte
Member # 43147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jb17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start by saying I have never been with either sex, but I am VERY attracted to girls. I have always identified as bisexual, but it's got me thinking..I desire a girl to be with for the rest of my life and don't think I'd ever be in a relationship with a man, so my question is am I still bisexual, or lesbian? Some people tell me oh a lesbian has to be strictly attracted to females, no guys. Whereas, my sister has relations with girls and labels as straight. My second quest is, is it possible to know what you are before you have any relationship? I know I'm attracted to girls mostly, there is very few guys I find attractive but people still tell me there is no way I can know what I am if I'm a virgin.
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamsessionVT
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 17924

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamsessionVT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any particular reason why you feel the need to label yourself right away?

I know there's a lot of pressure from society to pick a "side", but sexuality and orientation is far more fluid than that. There isn't just straight, bisexual and gay...you've got everything in between as well.

As for the last comment, I wouldn't waste your time listening to what people have to say when it comes to your orientation. Being a virgin has nothing to do with orientation.

To me, it sounds as though you are leaning towards lesbian. You don't have to have dated tons of people or been with both men and women to necessarily know your orientation. However, I wouldn't pressure yourself to fit into a neat little box. Identify as bisexual, if that's what fits you best now, and if that changes later on, that's OK too.

--------------------
Abbie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Us? Keep Us Around by Donating!

Posts: 3987 | From: Greater Burlington Area, Vermont | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jb17
Neophyte
Member # 43147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jb17     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the answer, the reason I ask is my mom is bugging me about it..She wants to know what I am and I tell her bisexual but I feel like I'm lying to her cause what if she expects me to bring a guy home one day?
Posts: 3 | From: USA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephanie_1
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 36725

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stephanie_1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scintie: I know sometimes it's difficult to be ourselves when we know there's parent expectations that we may not be in alignment with by doing so - but you should also consider your mom really probably wants you to be happy. If that means being with a girl that you have a good open and loving relationship with, I think that helps parents to understand our side too. And in the end, it is about you being happy.

--------------------
"Sometimes the majority only means that all the fools are on the same side" ~Anon

Posts: 3429 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bluejumprope
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 40774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bluejumprope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also wanted to add:

A bisexual is someone who feels the potential to be attracted to men and women. It doesn't mean they're equally attracted to both, or will even ever have relationships with both.

I think I know what you mean about feeling like you're lying though (even though I don't think you are).

I'm bisexual, but primarily attracted to women, and I sometimes feel like the simple bisexual label isn't accurate because of how primary my orientation towards women is. The solution I've found is what you did to fill in your Scarleteen profile--to be more specific. In other words, if you feel comfortable, you could tell your mom what you said here, that you're bisexual but more interested in women.

Here are two articles I think you might appreciate too.

http://www.scarleteen.com/article/gaydar/bi_the_dozen_a_bisexuality_quiz
http://www.scarleteen.com/article/advice/im_bisexual_so_why_dont_i_feel_exactly_the_same_about_men_and_women

[ 07-09-2009, 11:28 PM: Message edited by: bluejumprope ]

--------------------
without tenderness, we are in hell. -Adrienne Rich

Posts: 407 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
moonlight bouncing off water
Peer Ambassador
Member # 44338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for moonlight bouncing off water     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
bluejumprope I just wanted to say thank you because I was reading this, and having recently identified as bisexual but not really feeling it, I am sort of the opposite of you and scintie ( I mostly like men), but now I have some clarification.
Posts: 864 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
michan
Neophyte
Member # 44481

Icon 1 posted      Profile for michan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Going back to what some people said, orientation and sexuality isn't just one thing.
There is a whole spectrum, there's even a scale from 1 to 10.
1 being super straight and 10 being super gay.
Very few people are right at one end or the other, most are somewhere in the middle.
Like me, I identify as a lesbian but I'm probably about an 8.7-9.5
But either way there still is that factor of I think a guy is attractive but I would never want to date him.

Plus to one of the things you said, how you've never dated anyone but know you like girls.
It's like when you are in elemantary school. You might have a little crush on a gender and know you like that gender even though you haven't dated them. Or like how I knew I liked girls loooong before I started dating my first girlfriend(and we haven't even been dating a month now.)

So really, don't sweat it. Take the time you need to figure things out. You'll know everything all in due time.

Posts: 34 | From: BC, Canada | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.