Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » An adult writing to his young, gay self

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: An adult writing to his young, gay self
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is one of the coolest, most wonderful things I've read in...well, ever, and I just had to share.

One of my favorite segments:

quote:
I finally know now, as I easily knew then, that the most important thing is love. It doesn't matter in the slightest whether that love is for someone of your own sex or not. Gay issues are important and I shall come to them in a moment, but they shrivel like a salted snail when compared to the towering question of love. Gay people sometimes believe (to this very day, would you credit it, young Stephen?) that the preponderance of obstacles and terrors they encounter in their lives and relationships is intimately connected with the fact of their being gay. As it happens at least 90% of their problems are to do with love and love alone: the lack of it, the denial of it, the inequality of it, the missed reciprocity in it, the horrors and heartaches of it. Love cold, love hot, love fresh, love stale, love scorned, love missed, love denied, love betrayed ... the great joke of sexuality is that these problems bedevil straight people just as much as gay. The 10% of extra suffering and complexity that uniquely confronts the gay person is certainly not incidental or trifling, but it must be understood that love comes first. This is tough for straight people to work out.

Straight people are encouraged by culture and society to believe that their sexual impulses are the norm, and therefore when their affairs of the heart and loins go wrong (as they certainly will), when they are flummoxed, distraught and defeated by love, they are forced to believe that it must be their fault. We gay people at least have the advantage of being brought up to expect the world of love to be imponderably and unmanageably difficult, for we are perverted freaks and sick aberrations of nature. They - poor normal lambs - naturally find it harder to understand why, in Lysander's words, "the course of true love never did run smooth".

[ 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NotProudToBeUnsure
Neophyte
Member # 42699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NotProudToBeUnsure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What quote is that? I would very much like to read it.

--------------------
When the world frowns at you, what do you do? Stand Strong.

Posts: 6 | From: A messed up world | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Click the link on "this" in the first sentence of my post. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a very good piece of writing, but the most important things in the whole world to me are science and everyone having ownership of their own body, so I disagree. I also don't think pain is beautiful, I suffered enough for believing that. I like Stephen Fry (A Bit of Fry and Laurie is one of the best TV shows ever to exist in the whole universe, and QI is excellent in no small part due to Fry's hosting skills), but I'm unconvinced by all the endless stuff I hear about feelings being the most important thing in the whole world, the bullies I knew when I was younger felt very strongly, clearly, that they should bully me and that it was utterly hilarious, white supremacists just feel that everybody who's not white is inferior to them, religious fundamentalists just feel (and that's everything isn't it) that women are innately sinful and that sexuality is the devil's work unless it's heterosexual intercourse within the boundaries of a church-sanctified marriage and even then it's still not really a good thing and is for making babies and male orgasm only, but y'know what I like? Scary things like logic and facts and evidence. I'm not saying that Stephen Fry is a fundamentalist (not close), but I am saying that I don't consider love to be the most important thing in the world, at all, and I definitely think it's something best expressed and felt when one has a grip on reality and a body that one has ownership of (which may be somewhat expressed in Fry's piece, but not exactly). I would like to say (and why, so I am!) that I really hope Stephen does find happiness. Also, that if I could, I would thank hir personally for making ABoF&L, as having such an utterly, endlessly, delighful sketch show to watch, so liberal, helped me through my gran's death immensely. And I'm not trying to put a downer on the thread, I just wanted to find someplace to say that, because I really do think too much stock is put in heart sensations.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Can I suggest that I think that love -- talking about love with a capital-L, the big stuff, the stuff about more than just one person, more than romance, etc. -- is talking about more than "heart sensation," per se? And that I think the idea that bigotry or harassment comes from love is misunderstanding love pretty profoundly?

Let me just posit an example: I'm here, I started Scarleteen, I come here every day and work, I think about how to make it better and better, primarily based in love. In other words, I have a deep love for all of you, a deep love for people, and thus, a deep investment in people being happy and healthy, feeling supported and cared for. Yes, this is my job, and yes, over the years it actually has given me a salary, it's also about keeping a roof over my head. But that's not why I do it. I do it because of love, and from a place of love...even though it also involves science, physical autonomy, etc.

Mind, you still get to have your own most important things (and disagree with any of what Fry said or I am, obviously). But I'd also suggest it may be possible that those ARE your most important things because you love something about them.

I also think a strong argument can be made that love is not separate from logic, fact or evidence.

[ 05-07-2009, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me • Get our book!

Jill2000Plus
Activist
Member # 41657

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jill2000Plus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want to make clear that wasn't me snapping at anyone, I wasn't so much arguing that bigotry and harassment come from love as that I think that the concept is vague and that feelings are overvalued as a method of working things out. I realize it's a big topic and I'm not trying to be glib. I do basically think of love as about heart sensations though, it can so easily become a matter of "I have all these deep feelings for you and therefore what I actually do to you is irrelevant because it comes from a good place", I've heard that argument used a disturbingly high number of times and that would be a fairly good summary of why I have skepticism about love, like I said I don't think it's per-se bad.

--------------------
Always knock before entering my room when I am in there alone, as I may be doing all sorts of wonderfully thrilling things that I'd rather you didn't see.

Posts: 840 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Idir
Activist
Member # 41176

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Idir     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow. I probably agree with Jill that love isn't exactly everything, but, wow.
This was a stunning letter. I just shared it on Facebook, and will bookmark it now. I'll make sure to read it every time I feel down, so that I know that there's light at the end of the tunnel...

--------------------
I know there is an over the rainbow for me.

Posts: 84 | From: Algeria | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Onionpie
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 41699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Onionpie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love steven fry SO much, and this just makes me love him even more <3
Posts: 1299 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Siobhan
Neophyte
Member # 43185

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Siobhan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
amazing and inspiring.
thank you for sharing [Smile]

Posts: 5 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.