Donate Now
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » SCARLETEEN CENTRAL » Sexual Identity » What does "queer" mean to you?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What does "queer" mean to you?
tallia7793
Neophyte
Member # 39351

Icon 5 posted      Profile for tallia7793         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you've probably inferred from the subject, I'm not entirely clear on the definition of "queer."

Is it synonymous with "gay," or can it apply to anyone in the LGBTQ spectrum? Also, it is at all offensive to people in the LGBTQ community? To me, sometimes it seems like an insult and sometimes it seems like just another identity.

I'm confused and just don't want to sound ignorant or accidentally offend someone. Please help! [Big Grin]

Thank you.

[ 07-25-2008, 12:59 PM: Message edited by: tallia7793 ]

Posts: 20 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honestly, when it comes to identifying someone else, it doesn't much matter what word you use, so much as it matters what your intent is, and if you're identifying them in a way they don't identify themselves. In other words, when you're asking someone what their orientation is, you can ask what their orientations is, as in: "What is your orientation?" or "Whose team do you play for?" or "Who do you date?" or "How do you roll?" In other words, asking a more open question leaves more room for a range of answers. Make sense?

Usually, when something is offensive it tends to be because someone intends it to be, and you vibe that out. For instance, someone can ask if I'm a dyke in a totally unoffensive way, but call me a dyke in a clearly offensive way. Same word, different intent.

In terms of those of us who use queer -- I do for myself often -- it really varies from person-to-person, but I'd say it most often just means "not heterosexual." Someone saying they're queer might be gay, straight, bisexual, pansexual. they might also be genderqueer, or might be talking about sexual practices more than gender preferences. If you're unclear when someone IDs that way, you certainly can ask what it means to that person.

For me, I know I like it because "bisexual" implies a binary that doesn't really exist in my attractions. I'll use bi, too, particularly when it's what I know a given person or group is most familiar with and most easily understands, but beyond the binary, it also doesn't speak as well for me to things like that I don't dig traditional gender roles or distinctions in the first place.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tallia7793
Neophyte
Member # 39351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tallia7793         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Heather!

Mostly, I've been looking for a word to describe MY orientation (which seems to cover a lot of gray territory) and "queer" seemed right, but I didn't want to use it incorrectly or if it would offend many people. Thanks again for the clarification [Smile]

[ 07-26-2008, 01:09 AM: Message edited by: tallia7793 ]

Posts: 20 | From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course. [Smile]

And really, I think that whole-lotta-blurry-gray is why an awful lot of folks like "queer" as a descriptive for sexuality and orientation.

Too, know that really, when identifying yourself, I don't think you have to worry too much about offending others. It's certainly a term widely in use, one that lots of us use positively and gladly, and if a descriptive feels good to you and isn't about any kind of hate or dismissal of anyone else, in my book, it's all good.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me • Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68255 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tallia7793
Neophyte
Member # 39351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tallia7793         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great, really [Big Grin]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.